Geography Majors,

This coming spring semester, the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Science will again be offering laboratory, research, and (possibly) field experience to a select student in geography (usually a junior or senior) through our Geography 494, Research Experience for Undergraduates course. The course is a 3-credit hour course, with very flexible hours, and you'll gain experience working on major research areas in the lab, part of the Department of Geography, located in the Science and Engineering Research Facility. These credit hours count towards the geography major! And this is a great way to start building up your resumé as you start preparing for employment after graduation. Remember, employers will want to see that "extra" effort on your part as an undergraduate above and beyond the normal coursework.

The successful student must work 9 hours per week in the laboratory, each week until the last week of the semester. We specifically need assistance in processing (sanding, measuring, and dating) pine samples we collected this year from the Florida Keys as part of Lauren Stachowiak's doctoral research. The lab work ranges from working in the wood shop learning to precision sand these samples, to measuring the widths of tree rings to 0.001 mm accuracy using state-of-the-art software and hardware. In addition, we'll be making several short field trips next semester and the selected lab assistant is very welcome to travel with us and help out. For example, we should be traveling to Norris Dam State Park to core some immense old-growth oaks recently discovered there.

Although this is not a paid lab position, the successful student would be a preferred choice for any paid positions that do come up in the laboratory in coming academic semesters (and this usually happens, just ask many of our seniors). To learn more about the lab, connect to: http://ltrs.utk.edu/. To see the many undergraduate majors (65 so far) in our department who have worked in the lab, connect here and scroll down to the bottom: http://ltrs.utk.edu/personnel.htm. If you're interested, send an email to me ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) and to Lauren Stachowiak ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) expressing your interest and we'll arrange to talk with you in the coming few weeks or so before spring semester starts.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Dr. Henri D. Grissino-Mayer
Professor of Geography
Associate Department Head
Department of Geography
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-0925
865.974.6029

Web Site<http://web.utk.edu/~grissino/>  Google Scholar<http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=1IQJtR8AAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao>  LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/henri-grissino-mayer/64/40b/731>  Academia.edu<http://utk.academia.edu/HenriGrissinoMayer>