Dear UT Geography Community:

Please allow me to make a formal announcement about our Department's recent success.  For the second straight fall semester, members of our Geography program have been recognized with major campus and disciplinary awards.

On December 3, at the College of Arts & Sciences Winter Convocation, three of our faculty members received beautiful plaques and the applause and praise of their colleagues.

1.       Dr. van Riemsdijk received the College's Excellence in Research & Creative Achievement Award (Early-Career). She was noted for her leadership of two major specialty groups in AAG, her NSF-funded research, and her international, publicly engaged scholarship on skilled migration.

2.       Dr. Shih-Lung Shaw received the College's Excellence in Research & Creative Achievement Award (Senior Career).  He was noted for helping define the field of GIS for Transportation and his path-breaking work on visualizing and modeling time-space geographies.

3.       Dr. Carol Harden received the Distinguished Research Career at UT Award along with the prestigious College Marshall Award.  College Marshall is the highest college honor awarded to a member of the faculty.  These accolades are a fitting tribute to Dr. Harden as she retires at the end of the month.
On November 24, at the annual meeting of the Southeastern Division of the Association of American Geographers (SEDAAG), three UT Geographers were recognized at the conference's honors banquet.

1.       Ms. Megan Rochner received the Best Masters Paper Award.  Competition for this award was region-wide and finalists were evaluated on the basis of their written papers as well as oral and visual presentations. Megan is the first UT winner of this particular award (at the Masters level) over at least the past several years.

2.       Dr. Grissino-Mayer received the Research Honors Award.  The last and only other time that a UT Geographer has received this award was in 1987, when it was bestowed upon Dr.  Charles Aiken.

3.       Dr. Sally Horn received the coveted Lifetime Achievement Award, the highest honor that SEDAAG gives a faculty member.  Dr. Horn is only the second UT Geographer to receive this recognition (Dr. Harden received it in 2013) and only the fourth woman to be honored in the almost 30 years of the award's existence.
If you have not already, please join me in expressing congratulations to these hard-working and talented members of our community.  Finally, allow me to wish all of you a successful end to your semester and a nice holiday break.

Best wishes,
DA

Derek H. Alderman, PhD
Professor & Head