Vol Update | News for UT Students

Not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online.

Submit to Vol Update
publicize your news or event

SGA1

news

SGA Corner: Bonfires, New Bills Passed, and a College Debate

SGA is hard at work drafting legislation, planning events, and meeting with students and administrators throughout October. Find out about a bonfire, a college debate, and other new initiatives—in this week’s SGA Corner.

reminders

Spring Semester Registration Begins Monday

Registration for spring semester courses begins Monday, October 13. Check your registration date and time by clicking View Registration Status on MyUTK. Registration and deadline information is available at One Stop. Take a look at the timetable of classes and get in touch with your advisor if you have specific questions.

Homecoming Logo

see you there

This Weekend’s Homecoming Activities

Don’t forget that the Homecoming parade begins at 6:30 p.m. Friday beside Fiji Island. Stick around for a bonfire and pep rally on Fiji Island immediately following the parade. The event will include the final round of Smokey’s Howl, games, appearances, food, and fireworks. Plenty of activities are planned for Saturday before the 4:00 p.m. football game against UT Chattanooga. Click here for the full list of weekend events.

nativemaps2

awesome

Husband-Wife Grad Students Finalists for Design Grant

Exploring the city you live in can often lead to inspiration. That’s just what happened to David Harman after he finished his bachelor’s degree in art from the University of Dallas. After six months of research, he had created a map of Dallas’s neighborhoods. David and his wife Rebecca—now both graduate students at UT—hope to expand their collection with the help of the West Elm LOCAL grant competition. Their company, Native Maps, is a finalist and is in the running for a $25,000 grant.

reminders

Transportation to West Tennessee During Breaks

Students who live in Jackson or Memphis, Tennessee, can catch a ride home with the UT to West Tennessee Program. This program provides students with transportation home during Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break.Click here for more information and details about registration.

tennis

awesome

Two UT Seniors are Tennis Champions Again

Playing their first tournament since winning the NCAA Doubles Championships in May, seniors Mikelis Libietis and Hunter Reese added to their national trophy case Monday at the ITA All-American Championships. Libietis and Reese became the first team in tournament history to win back-to-back doubles titles with a 6-3, 6-4 victory. Go Vols!

jobs and internships

Career Services Success Story: Tija Larkin, Peer Career Advisor

“After seeing my resume on Hire-A Vol, a recruiter for Carlisle Transportation Products contacted me about a human resource intern position and encouraged me to apply. I used Career Services’ resume and interview resources to prepare me for the application process. Before I knew it, I was accepting an offer for a paid internship with an amazing organization.” Stop by Career Services in Dunford Hall or visit their website to find out how their team can help you find a job or internship.

OITcommons3

reminders

OIT Offers Microsoft Office ProPlus

Did you know you have access to the Microsoft Student Advantage program? The software includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Access, and Publisher. This program is available online through your Volmail account and can be installed on up to five devices. Visit OIT’s website for additional information.

law

see you there

Kickoff to Law School Open House

Join the College of Law during their “Kickoff to Law School” to learn about being a law student, participate in a question and answer session about admission and financial aid, and take a tour to see the law school in action. The open house takes place from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. Friday, October 10. RSVP here.

Read more at Vol Update
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= To view the STUDENT@TENNESSEE archives or Join/Leave the list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/student-at-tennessee.html