Vol Update | News for UT Students

Not displaying correctly? View this newsletter online.

Submit to Vol Update
publicize your news or event

volspeak

news

Answers to Your Questions about Sexual Assault Notices

Earlier today Vice Chancellor Vincent Carilli distributed a letter to students with information about UT’s commitment to creating and maintaining a living and learning environment that is free from all types of sexual misconduct and relationship violence. Please take time read over the answers to some of the common questions about safety notices. Learn more about the university’s sexual assault policies and campus resources.

Nancy Li Photo

news

Two Students are UT’s First National Geographic Young Explorers

Two graduate students are making UT history as the first UT recipients of the National Geographic Young Explorers Grants. Yanan Li, a doctoral candidate in geography, and Todd Pierson, a graduate student in ecology and evolutionary biology, are traveling the globe for research with the help of the grant which supports students pursuing field projects in research, exploration, and conservation. Learn about their experiences here.

reminders

Safety Tip of the Week: What to Do During a Campus Shooting Situation

When there’s a threat of an active shooter on campus, your instinct would make you run or hide. But sometimes the stress of an emergency situation can impact your ability to think clearly before taking action. How you respond immediately is critical. Do you know when it is best to run or seek cover? Answers can be found on the emergency preparedness website.

OITcommons3

awesome

OIT Launches Gmail Option for Students

OIT launched Gmail for students earlier this month as an alternative to Office 365 at the request of SGA and the Technology Fee Advisory Board. Information about switching to Gmail is available on the Volmail website. All students, regardless of their choice in UT email service, now have a UT Google Apps account in addition to an Office 365 account. Questions about these accounts can be directed to the OIT HelpDesk.

see you there

OUTreach Center Ice Cream Social

Celebrate National LGBTQ Center Awareness Day at an ice cream social in the Melrose Hall courtyard from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m. tomorrow. Learn about the OUTreach Center and other services, programs, and organizations. Vice Chancellor for Diversity Rickey Hall will speak at 5:15 p.m.

vsu

involved

Speakologist: Speak Up When Others are in Need

Are you committed to speak up for friends, fellow students, and others when needed? “Speakologist” training will educate you about prevention, bystander intervention, and campus resources. The training is focused on sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking. All of the skills can translate to other situations you may encounter. Training will be offered once a week but on different days from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the UC Ballroom. Click here for a complete schedule and to sign up.

news

Career Services Success Story: Rachel Van Deventer, Peer Career Advisor

“I obtained my summer internship by attending the Supply Chain Management Job Fair. I’m not a supply chain major, but was still encouraged to attend the fair and gain experience interacting with recruiters. To my surprise, several companies were interested and contacted me even though I was a sophomore with little business experience. Career Services helped me prep for phone interviews… My preparation kept me confident during the interviews and I was chosen as a paid supply chain intern at Cummins Inc. in Charleston, South Carolina.” Stop by Career Services in Dunford Hall or visit their website to find out how their team can help you find a great job or internship opportunity and upcoming job fairs.

BJLeggett_small

see you there

Writers in the Library: B.J. Leggett

In B. J. Leggett’s novel Prosperity, a retired police lieutenant investigates the death of a high school friend. Leggett will read excerpts from his book at 7:00 p.m. tonight in the Lindsay Young Auditorium in Hodges Library. Writers in the Library hosts readings by noted authors of fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction.

Libby Hicks

awesome

New Faces in Student Life: Libby Hicks

Libby Hicks is the new wellness coordinator in the Center for Health Education and Wellness. Libby coordinates the Volunteers Speak Up! initiative and oversees the Vols 2 Vols peer health educator group. Learn more about Libby here.

Read more at Vol Update
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= To view the STUDENT@TENNESSEE archives or Join/Leave the list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/student-at-tennessee.html