Dear Geographers:

Allow me to thank the many people involved in making the recent National Geographic Society Young Explorer Grant Workshop and evening presentation a huge success.  We saw a good turnout at both events on Sept. 20.

There are too many folks to thank in one email, but please allow me to cast the spotlight on a few especially special contributions.  Many thanks to Dr. Carol Harden for helping bring this opportunity to campus and her long-time work within National Geographic.  Our own Annie Meltzer played a leading role in helping organize the event in her capacity as a member of the NGS staff.  Nancy Li delivered a great presentation at the workshop as one of UT's prestigious Young Explorer grant recipients.  Special thanks to Michael Schilling and other leaders of Club Geography for helping promote the events on campus through social media and at the table in front of Burchfiel.  Michael and his crew were assisted by Lynn Champion, director of communications at the College and a loyal supporter of the Department.  Several other Geography students served as NGS volunteers on Saturday and provided valuable support.

Please join me in thanking and congratulating our colleagues for a job well done.

Best wishes,
Derek

Derek H. Alderman, PhD
Professor & Head