Dear Undergraduates,

There are many ways to get foreign field experience.  I was asked to distribute information about the Operation Wallacea program, but I think I should give you some context.  I'm copying this to department faculty who may have other insight to offer.

The information about Operation Wallacea summer programs is below.  But first, the context.

Some opportunities to obtain foreign field experience are cost neutral (such as helping a faculty member who has a grant project and needs help at a foreign location).  A few opportunties actually pay you while you get the foreign experience -- the best example of that would be an NSF REU project, such as the Texas A&M Project in Costa Rica in which undergraduate major Sarah Bleakney participated in summer 2013 (and with which our own Dr. Robert Washington-Allen is involved).

These options above are really golden opportunities, that you should investigate and try for by all means.  At the same time, you might want to investigate other opportunities, most of which have a cost to you to participate. Some programs are run by university faculty, working through universities, such as the program to visit China that our own Dr. Shih-Lung Shaw ran several years ago.

Other programs are run through University consortia, such as the Organization for Tropical Studies.  Still others are run through other types of groups.

An example of the latter is Operation Wallacea.  They offer a few grants for students, but the program will still cost you several thousand dollars.

However, if you are looking for something like this, I recommend attending their presentation on Friday on the AG campus (unless you are in my class, in which case I recommend you being in class to take the midterm).

Sincerely,

Sally Horn

Sally P. Horn, Professor
Department of Geography