Good Morning UTK Geography -

As Conference Planning Chair for this event, I strongly encourage you and your students to participate in the 2014 Eastern Regional Tennessee Geographic Information Council (TNGIC)  Meeting that is to be held at the Ag Campus on October 16 & 17, 2014.  See the announcement below and the attached Call for Presenters.  Note, the main conference on October 16th is FREE, complements of TNGIC and our generous vendor sponsors.  Please share this announcement widely with your networks.  I will send out periodic reminders when the registration links for the conference are activated on the TNGIC website.

Thank you for your attention to this request.

Kurt Butefish
Coordinator
Tennessee Geographic Alliance

Announcing the 2014 Eastern Regional TNGIC Meeting, October 16 & 17

The 2014 Eastern Regional TNGIC Meeting will be held on the University of Tennessee Agricultural Campus, October 16 & 17.  The main conference will be on Thursday the 16th and two training sessions will be held on Friday the 17th.  There is no charge to attend the conference on Thursday but pre-registration via the TNGIC website is requested so that we may plan meals.  Please note, requests for special needs services at the conference should be made to David McMillan at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  by August 21, 2014.

We will have approximately fifteen, 20-minute breakout sessions and one panel session on Careers in GIS aimed at students and young professionals.  A number of local and regional vendors will be present.  A light breakfast and lunch will be provided.

The keynote will be Dr. Brain Cullis, VP, Spatial Enterprise Services at Critigen.

Dr. Cullis is an expert in geospatial technology and cultural adoption, with experience in these fields dating back to the late 1980s.  Since then, he has completed doctoral work in the area and successfully facilitated geospatial culture change in the U.S. Department of Defense.  Today, Brian works with business and government leaders to identify and realize the value location intelligence can bring their organizations.

On Friday, October 17th there will be two training sessions offered.  The morning half-day session will be Introduction to Geoprocessing with Model Builder taught by Gerardo Bouquin, GIS Professional with Critigen.  The afternoon half-day session will be An Introduction to Free and Open Source GIS Software taught by Dr. Bruce Ralston, Professor of Geography, Emeritus  and Dr. Mike Meyers, GIS Consultant for the County Technical Assistance Service.  Cost for each course is $50.