@COE for the week of July 11, 2014 (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-50558735-1', 'utk.edu'); ga('send', 'pageview');

Having trouble viewing this e-mail? View it in your browser.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

[log in to unmask]" alt="@COE newsletter of the UT College of Engineering" width="600" height="205" border="0" style="display:block">

For the week of July 11, 2014

@COE is published every two weeks throughout the summer. Please send submissions to Randall Brown in the Engineering Communications Office at [log in to unmask] by noon on the Thursdays before distribution.

Note: The next edition of @COE will be distributed on July 25, 2014.

Facebook    LinkedIn   Twitter
UT-ORNL interns
UT engineering students who are taking part in summer internships at Oak Ridge National Laboratory gather together, more than 60 in all.

ORNL hires more than sixty engineering interns

For more than seven decades, UT and Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) have forged special connections in a number of key areas, perhaps none stronger than the personnel that the two share. That particular bond was on display recently when members of the Office of Engineering Professional Practice visited the facilities at ORNL, meeting more than sixty engineering students involved in summer internships at the lab.
Read more >>

Rupy Sawhney
Dr. Rupy Sawhney, ISE professor, Heath Fellow in Business and Engineering, and director of the Lean Summer Enterprise Program, addresses attendees at the program's kick-off event.

World coming to UT for COE Lean Program

Students from universities and institutes around the world arrived at UT this week as part of the International Lean Summer Program in the College of Engineering. Sponsored by the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE), the program brings almost 120 students for a chance to study ways of reducing waste and increasing efficiency while partnering with students from countries around the world. The program began with an opening ceremony at the Foundry at World's Fair Park on July 7.
Read more >>
Visit the Lean Enterprise site for more info and a video >>

Fiske Guide

Fiske Guide lists UT among best and most interesting schools

UT has been rated one of the “best and most interesting” schools in the 2015 edition of the Fiske Guide to Colleges, which reviews higher education institutions in the United States, Canada, and Great Britain. UT is recognized for its collaboration with Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), as well as strong programs in engineering, communications, psychology, business, architecture, and accounting.
Read more >>

FACULTY NEWS

William Weber
Dr. William Weber

Weber visits Hungary to deliver lectures

Dr. William Weber is giving a lecture this weekend at the Seventh International Meeting on Recent Developments in the Study of Radiation Effects in Matter, taking place July 9-12 in Budapest, Hungary. His talk is titled "Irradiation-induced grain growth in nanocrystalline ceria and zirconia."

Weber will also give the Lindhard Lecture on “Effects of nuclear and electronic energy loss on radiation damage” at the twenty-sixth International Conference on Atomic Collisions in Solids, taking place July 13-18, 2014, in Debrecen, Hungary.

Weber is a Governor's Chair Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, and director of the Ion Beam Materials Laboratory (IBML).
Read more >>

ALUMNI NEWS

NASA Astronaut Barry Wilmore
NASA Astronaut Barry "Butch" Wilmore

UTSI alumnus will serve as commander on International Space Station

UT alumnus and NASA astronaut Barry "Butch" Wilmore will command the next crew to launch to the International Space Station. He graduated with a master's degree in aviation systems in 1994 from the UT Space Institute. He is a captain in the US Navy, and grew up in Mount Juliet, Tennessee.
Read more >>

STUDENT NEWS

Woo earns awards for symposium travel

Hannah WooHanna Woo, at right, a PhD student in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), has received travel awards to attend upcoming conferences in South Korea and California. Woo studies with Dr. Terry Hazen, Governor's Chair Professor in CEE.

The Society for Applied Microbiology awarded Woo $1,882 to attend the International Symposium on Microbial Ecology (ISME15), taking place August 24-29, in Seoul, South Korea.
Read more about ISME15 >>

Woo also received a travel grant to attend the Ninth International Symposium on Subsurface Microbiology (ISSM 2014), scheduled for October5-10, 2014, in Pacific Grove, California. She will present on "Lignin-Degrading Microbes of the Eastern Mediterranean Sediment and Seawater."
Read more about ISSM14 >>

Adam Lindsey
Adam Lindsey displays the medal he received as part of his award.

Lindsey wins for Best Student Poster

Adam Lindsey, at left, a graduate student in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, received The Best Student Poster Award at the Seventh Annual Academic Research Initiative (ARI) Grantees Conference held in Lansdowne, Virginia on June 24-26, 2014. The conference was organized by the Domestic Nuclear Detection Office, Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Lindsey presented his research at the Scintillation Materials Research Center on development of multi-crystal Bridgman growth furnace and crystal growth of new high resolution scintillators. He is advised by Dr. Mariya Zhuravleva.

Fatemeh Sepehr
Fatemeh Sepehr, center, receives her award from TN-SCORE officials.

Sepehr wins TN-SCORE competition

Fatemeh Sepehr, a doctoral student in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (CBE), recently won the Tennessee Solar Conversion and Storage using Outreach, Research and Education (TN-SCORE) poster competition in Nashville.

She received a $1,000 travel stipend in addition to the award, money she will use to attend a later conference and present her poster and research. Sepehr is a member of the Paddison Research Group, led by Dr. Stephen Paddison, professor in CBE.

Sepehr's entry dealt with the topic "Components and Devices for Energy Storage and Conversion."
Read more about TN-SCORE >>

STUDENT & FACULTY OPPORTUNITIES

Applications open for SEC Visiting Faculty Travel Grants

The Office of Research and Engagement is pleased to announce a call for proposals for the Southeastern Conference (SEC) Visiting Faculty Travel Grant Program, which supports faculty the opportunity to travel to another SEC campus to stimulate scholarly initiatives between SEC universities.
Read details >>

To be considered for one of UT’s SEC travel grants, UT faculty must submit their proposal in one PDF file via email attachment to Alan Rutenberg at [log in to unmask].
The deadline is 5:00 p.m. on Friday August 1, 2014
.

Deadline soon for Fulbright Scholar Program

The deadline for Fulbright Core applications for Academic Year 2015-2016 is August 1, 2014. This year's competition includes 584 awards.  Of these, 419 are "All Discipline" awards and are open to applicants from virtually any discipline—from computer science to art. Scholars and professionals from post-docs to emeriti are able to apply for programs all over the globe.
View schedule of informational webinars >>
Read more about Fulbright >>

Students can win $500 prize for transportation video

The American Road and Transportation Builders Association is sponsoring a video contest for students from elementary school through graduate school, with the top video in pre-college and the top video in college-graduate school each winning $500. In the past, classes, school organizations, and others have teamed up to make the videos, which must be two-four minutes long and examine some aspect of transportation in the US.

The deadline to enter is August 1. Winners will announced in September. Winning videos may be shown at ARTBA's national conference or on its website.
View a PDF of the rules >>
Read more >>

GRAMS offers assistance to EECS seniors and grad students

CISML robotThe Graduate Assistantship for Masters Students (GRAMS) program is coordinated by the Center for Intelligence Systems and Machine Learning (CISML). This assistantship program is funded by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and the Science Alliance (a UT Center of Excellence). The program is restricted to master students who are US citizens and who are currently enrolled in full time graduate study at the University of Tennessee.
Read more >>

Applications open for Hispanic Heritage Youth Awards

The Hispanic Heritage Youth Awards offers educational grants in several categories to qualified Hispanic/Latino high school rising seniors. Recipients are eligible to receive an educational grant ranging from $1,000 to $3,000. Students are also eligible to be selected as a national recipient and receive a laptop computer and an all expense paid trip to attend the National Youth Awards ceremony.
Read more >>

Engineering Professional Practice

Stay up-to-date with Engineering Professional Practice information and events by clicking the “Like” button on the program’s Facebook page, following the program on Twitter, visiting its website at www.coop.utk.edu, or calling 865-974-5323.

Featured student: Mitchell McKinnon

Mitchell McKinnonOur student this week is Mitchell Guyton McKinnon, at right, a mechanical engineering major, who accepted a co-op at Duke Energy located in Charlotte, North Carolina.

McKinnon describes the department he worked in and what his main responsibilities were.

"I was under the maintenance superintendent and technical manager during this rotation at an active coal burning power station," he said. "Upon arrival, I was given an assignment list comprising of special projects, operations assistance, maintenance data collection, and many others. For my primary special project, I was required to research different solutions to a problem that has existed in the station for years. I was given a budget and gave my supervisor my suggestion. Upon approval, I prepared for and oversaw the installation of the new equipment."

His maintenance data collection consisted of going into the live plant to collect vibration data and oil samples from the equipment.

"I would then return to the maintenance manager and have the data analyzed for any anomalies," said McKinnon. "There were many other projects that I either contributed to or lead while I was in this position."

McKinnon received industry specific training that he needed to perform my job effectively.

"These trainings include many computer based learning sessions as well as LOTO (Lock Out Tag Out), Red Tag (to lock out equipment), confined space training, and respirator training and fit testing," he said.

The most valuable benefit McKinnon received during his co-op assignment was an improvement in his judgment and intuition.

"Especially having lead an installation project, I had to realize that I could not simply go around asking questions and expect clear cut answers," he said. "Of all the people in the station, I was the most informed about the project, so if I had a question for anyone, I had to be sure to also have a possible solution(s) to follow. In academia, almost all questions have an answer. In the working world, all questions can have many answers or no clear answers."

Students, please note: If you receive a co-op or internship offer, please contact Engineering Professional Practice for help with paperwork and any preparations you may need – [log in to unmask], 865-974-5323, or 310 Perkins Hall.

Students may read more about their peers' co-op experiences by logging into their Engineering Professional Practice profile via www.coop.utk.edu, clicking "Resource Library" (on the left margin) and selecting "Students at Work–In Their Own Words." For information on engineering co-op and internships, contact [log in to unmask] or 865-974-5323.

VolsTeach

What else can you do with your major? You can now receive your degree and a secondary education teaching license with VolsTeach. The VolsTeach program is available to Math and Science majors who wish to expand their career options by earning a secondary education teaching license. Given the current economy VolsTeach offers one degree with two career paths which will make you more competitive in the future job market.

    VolsTeach provides:
  • early and frequent field experiences
  • personal guidance by Master Teachers and program advisors
  • the opportunity to have paid exclusive internships during regular and summer terms
  • a comfortable learning environment that will further enhance your professional skill set

This is your opportunity to be a part of the program. VolsTeach is open to freshmen, sophomores and juniors who are ready to start a journey that will give them a chance to connect with the community. Become a part of this exciting venture by signing up for the Fall Step 1 course now.

For more information contact VolsTeach Coach, Jada Johnson at [log in to unmask] or visit the program's Facebook page, VolsTeach, for current events, and the program's website, http://volsteach.utk.edu.

Career Services

Career Services News

Hold the Dates for Fall Job Fairs/Recruiting Events

Engineering/STEM Career Success Kick-Off Week:
Friday, September 12-Wednesday, September 17
Career Carnival:
11:30 a.m.–2:00 p.m. Friday, September 12, Ferris/SERF Lawn
A fun outdoor carnival like outreach event to students, faculty and staff on the Engineering hill. Stop by and pick up a free hot dog, chili, soda or chips, speak with one of our employer reps, find out ways to get involved with a variety of our Engineering/STEM related professional student organizations, win prizes and more!

Tips and Tricks for Job Fair Success Workshop for Engineers/STEM Majors
4:00–5:00 p.m. Monday, September 15, Career Services, Dunford Hall
This workshop is open for ANY engineering or STEM majors interested in learning more about how to prepare for one of the upcoming fall job fairs. Presented by DENSO Manufacturing.

Just In Time Resume Critiques on the Hill
10:30 a.m.–3:00 p.m. Tuesday, September 16, South Lawn of Ayres Hall and Fourth Floor Entrance to Min Kao Building
Have your resume critiqued by one of our employer reps and learn more about the fall job fairs. Employers scheduled to attend include: MS Technology, DENSO and CDM Smith

Speed Networking Event for Engineers and STEM Majors-
5:30–8:00 p.m. Wednesday, September 17, University Center Ballroom
Practice your thirty-second introduction with employers in a timed fast paced environment and receive feedback in preparation for the fairs. This event requires registration with HIRE-a-VOL. Please check in your account under Upcoming Events to sign-up.

Fall Job Fair Week
Monday, September 22–Wednesday, September 24
Supply Chain Management Fair,
3:00–6:00 p.m. Monday, September 22, Thompson-Boling Arena Floor
Open to IE and ME majors interested in careers in operations.

Business, Retail and Government related Fair
3:00–6:00 p.m. Tuesday, September 23, Thompson-Boling Arena Floor
Open to Engineering students interested in careers in business or pharmaceutical sales.

Engineering/STEM Job Fair
3:00–6:00 p.m. Wednesday, September 24, Thompson-Boling Arena Floor
Open to ALL Engineering & STEM students and alumni looking for full-time opportunities.

EF 301— Career Services for Engineers
Planning your class schedule for Fall 2014? Don’t forget to register for EF 301 – Engineering Career Planning!

This class is offered each Spring and Fall semester and is taught 1:25–2:15 p.m. Mondays at Career Services, 100 Dunford Hall. This class is a perfect fit for all Juniors and Seniors and will equip students with the right tools to land that great job. Sophomores and Graduate Students may also register for the course as well. The class is offered on a 1-hour Satisfactory/No Credit basis and is taught by Career Services Consultant for the College of Engineering, April Gonzalez/Justin Rice. Expect visits from company representatives, tips and tricks from HR Recruiters, advice on resumes, cover letters, interviewing and salary negotiation and learn the ways you can stand out and get noticed at the job fairs.

Here’s what students are saying about the class:

“This is the most useful non-engineering class I have ever taken.  It gave me insider information about what employers are looking for during interviews and I have a resume that I feel great about!”

“Well thought out and put together course. I feel much more confident about job searching.”

“This class exceeded all my expectations – it really works!”

Don’t wait to sign up as space is limited and the class will fill up fast.

For more information, contact April Gonzalez , Career Services Consultant—College of Engineering, at [log in to unmask]; Justin Rice, STEM Consultant, at [log in to unmask]; or call 865-974-5435. Check out www.career.utk.edu for a list of all upcoming events.

CONTACT US
Office of Engineering Communications
114 Perkins Hall | Knoxville, TN 37996
E-mail: Send submissions for @COE to Randall Brown, [log in to unmask]