WELCOME BACK!   Believe it or not, the end of summer and beginning of a new
UT Fall semester is only a few weeks away!

Our first two events are August 26.  We are holding a free workshop for
journalists in the morning and a public forum on the EPA's Clean Power Plan in
the afternoon!  Both require registration and both are free. See details below.

                      A PUBLIC FORUM - EPA CLEAN POWER PLAN
           Tuesday, August 26, 1:00- 5:00 pm - Toyota Auditorium

In June 2014, the EPA issued proposed guidelines under Section 111(d) of the
Clean Air Act, which would regulate carbon emissions from existing power
plants.  EPA expects to issue the final guidelines in June 2015.  States will
submit implementation plans for compliance within a year following the issuance
of the final guidelines.  This forum focuses on Tennessee and the Southeast
region and addresses some of the questions and concerns being voiced about
the proposed guidelines, including potential impacts and compliance
approaches. See attached flyer for full details.
Sponsored by the Baker Center, TN Dept. of Environment & Conservation and
TVA.  Seating is limited.
REGISTER IN ADVANCE:  http://tinyurl.com/CleanPower-8-26

   CLEARING THE AIR!  A FREE Workshop for current and aspiring journalists
        Tuesday, August 26, 9:00 am - Noon - Toyota Auditorium

Attn. all journalists - Join us and learn about energy and environmental policy,
including EPA’s Clean Power Plan, Cap & Trade, Clean Air Act, and more, while
improving your writing skills! Our experts will enlighten you and entertain you in
this free workshop for all journalists (students welcome)!

  9:00 am  Environmental Policy - Dr. Charles Sims, Baker Faculty Fellow &
Economics professor and Dr. Mary English, Baker Fellow
10:00 am  Cap & Trade Simulation - Nathan Murray, GRA, UT Economics
11:00 am  Writing Samples - Critique and discussion - Dr. Mike Martinez,
professor, UT Journalism & Electronic Media, and former journalist
Noon   Adjourn!

Sponsored by the Baker Center, UT Journalism & Electronic Media and the E. TN
Society for Professional Journalists
REGISTER in advance here:  http://tinyurl.com/E-E-Reporters