Dear GRC:

Below are links to a summary of the ranavirus workshop that we held in Harbin China along with some photos.

http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/mgray/ranavirus/HarbinRanavirusWorkshopNotes.pdf

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56938368@N08/sets/72157645158340983/

http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/mgray/NEFURanavirusWorkshop14.pdf

Drs. Yumi Une (GRC Board Representative for Asia) and Dr. Rolando Mazzoni (GRC Board Representative for South America) joined me.  The workshop was a success, and the interaction was beneficial!  Our goal was to help facilitate communication among research labs in China, and to open the door for future collaborations.  Although all of the scientists that study ranaviruses in China could not attend, there was good representation from laboratories across the country, and the discussions were very fruitful.

The GRC Board looks forward to future opportunities to facilitate communication among professionals and students studying ranaviruses.  If you have a request for an outreach activity that the GRC Board can help organize, please do not hesitate to contact your continental representative (listed on the GRC website).  Speaking of which, our new website should be launching soon.  When it launches, we’ll send an announcement to the LISTSERV.  We will be offering an annual membership to the GRC once the new website is live, and those that purchase a membership in 2014 will be considered charter members.

Other news: Dr. Dede Olson recently secured a grant to create the Global Ranavirus Reporting System<http://www.gordonstate.edu/Faculty/aduffus/RV%20Reporting%20System.htm> (GRRS), which will be a collaboration among the GRC, U.S. Forest Service, EcoHealth Alliance, and the Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation.   The GRRS will be an online data management system that allows cases of ranavirus infection and disease to be uploaded, mapped, and downloaded by users.  Unlike many disease-reporting systems (e.g., Bd-maps), the integrity of cases will be reviewed by ranavirus experts, and only cases with reasonable evidence of infection or disease will be posted.  Moreover, each case will be ranked according to the amount of evidence that is submitted.  For example, a positive PCR sample only would be ranked less than positive PCR + virus culture + EM + histology.  Thus, users will be able to sort the entries based on evidence level.  There also will be options for uploading pathology reports and photos.  We anticipate that veterinarians, scientists, biologists, policy makers and the public will use the GRRS.

Also, the first book on ranaviruses<http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/mgray/ranavirus/RanavirusBookProposal.pdf> is coming together.  Greg and I are in the process of editing 8 chapters --- a special thanks to those professionals who provided critical reviews!  We hope to submit a final draft to Springer by August, with hopefully a publication date near the end of 2014.  The publication will be an eBook so chapters can be purchased individually if desired.

Lastly, Drs. Tom Waltzek<http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/about-the-college/faculty-directory/thomas-b-waltzek/> and Jim Wellehan<http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/about-the-college/faculty-directory/jim-wellehan/> at the University of Florida are starting the planning process for the 2015 symposium.  Tom and Jim will be forming various planning committees, and need help!  If you are willing to assist with planning, please send them an email and cc: Jesse Brunner (who also will be on the committee as Associate Director of the GRC).

As always, keep up the stellar work.  And remember, collaboration is the key to advancing science in the 21st century!

All the Best,
Matt
Matthew J. Gray, Ph.D.
Director, Global Ranavirus Consortium<http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/mgray/ranavirus/Ranavirus.htm>
Center for Wildlife Health
University of Tennessee
274 Ellington Plant Sciences Building
Knoxville, TN 37996-4563
865.974.2740 [ofc]                [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
865.974.4714 [fax]                http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/personnel/mgray.htm

For more information about Forestry, Wildlife and Fisheries at UTK,
Please visit http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/ or call 865.974.7126