Having trouble viewing this e-mail? View it in your browser.<http://www.engr.utk.edu/news/atcoe/atcoe_06_06_14.html>

[The University of Tennessee, Knoxville]<http://www.utk.edu>
[@COE newsletter of the UT College of Engineering]<http://www.engr.utk.edu/>

For the week of June 6, 2014

@COE<http://www.engr.utk.edu/news/atcoe/index.html> is published on a weekly basis. Please send submissions to Randall Brown in the Engineering Communications Office at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by noon on the Thursdays before distribution.

Note: The next edition of @COE will be distributed on June 20, 2014.

[Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/coe.utk>    [LinkedIn] <http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=4919219&trk=my_groups-b-grp-v>    [Twitter] <http://twitter.com/utk_coe>

[Emily Frame]
UT nuclear engineering student Emily Frame, at right above, works with an instructor at Czech Technical University in Prague.

COE strengthens ties with Czech Technical University in Prague

Students from the Department of Nuclear Engineering<http://www.engr.utk.edu/nuclear/>, led by assistant professors Dr. Ondrej Chvala and Dr. Eric Lukosi, spent two weeks in May at Czech Technical University<http://intranet.cvut.cz/en> in Prague, Czech Republic. It's all part of a developing bond between the two universities as they move to build a closer relationship.

“This represents a great chance for UT students to share ideas with counterparts from another part of the world, to work through real-world scenarios, and to gain experience in a way different from what they might otherwise see,” said College of Engineering Dean Wayne Davis.
Read more >> <http://tntoday.utk.edu/2014/05/23/czech-mates-engineering-strengthens-ties-university-prague/>

COE faculty and students keep UT engineering in the headlines

  *   Professor’s Research Into Droplets Could Lead to Breakthroughs in Detection, Clean Water<http://tntoday.utk.edu/2014/05/23/professors-research-droplets-lead-breakthroughs-detection-clean-water/>
  *   EcoCAR 2 Team Departs for Final Competition in Series<http://tntoday.utk.edu/2014/05/23/ecocar-2-team-departs-final-competition-series/>
  *   DOE Looks to Dongarra for Input on Computing Advances<http://tntoday.utk.edu/2014/05/20/doe-dongarra-input-computing-advances/>
  *   Nuclear Engineering Students Awarded Scholarships, Fellowships Through DOE Program<http://tntoday.utk.edu/2014/05/19/nuclear-engineering-students-scholarships-fellowships-doe/>
  *   Bredesen Center Graduates First Class, Sees Phenomenal Growth<http://tntoday.utk.edu/2014/05/06/bredesen-center-graduates-first-class/>
  *   Systers Act: Koessler’s Impact Felt Well Beyond the Classroom<http://tntoday.utk.edu/2014/05/06/systers-act-koesslers-impact/>
  *   Smaller, Flexible Tablets and TVs Possible Thanks in Part to UT Researchers<http://tntoday.utk.edu/2014/05/05/smaller-flexible-tablets-tvs-part-ut-researchers/>

FACULTY NEWS

[Steve Skutnik]
Dr. Steve Skutnik

Skutnik receives ORAU award

Dr. Steve Skutnik, assistant professor in the Department of Nuclear Engineering<http://www.engr.utk.edu/nuclear/>, was the recent recipient of an Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU) Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award.

ORAU awarded competitive research grants totaling $175,000 to thirty-five junior faculty from ORAU member institutions.
Read more >><http://www.orau.org/media-center/news-releases/2014/fy14-42-2014-powe-awards.aspx>

[Andrea Rocha]
Dr. Andrea Rocha

Post-doc Rocha selected for Facilis 2014

Dr. Andrea Rocha, post-doc with Dr. Terry C. Hazen, was accepted into the highly competitive “Facilis 2014: Microbially-driven facilitation system in environmental biotechnology,” scheduled for July 12–25, 2014, in Milan, Italy. This initiative is promoted and supported by the EU-US Working Group in Environmental Biotechnology. Only twelve participants from the US and twelve from the European Union were chosen.
Read more >><http://www.facilis2014.unimi.it/>

[H. Lee Dodds]
Dr. H. Lee Dodds

Dodds presents in Istanbul

Dr. H. Lee Dodds, professor emeritus and former head of the Department of Nuclear Engineering<http://www.engr.utk.edu/nuclear/>, recently returned from Istanbul, Turkey, where he delivered the keynote address at the opening plenary session of the Nuclear Power Plants Summit. His presentation, entitled “Energy Choices and Consequences,” is based on a new seminar course that he began to develop after his retirement from UT. The presentation has been given to several civic organizations and also to technical organizations such as the American Nuclear Society, Hong Kong Nuclear Society, and Harbin Engineering University in Harbin, China.

Dodds' next presentation is scheduled for September, 2014, at the New Energy Forum-2014 in Qingdao, China, where he is an invited speaker in the opening plenary session.

STUDENT NEWS

[Ben Webb]
Ben Webb

Webb receives two scholarships

Joseph “Ben” Webb, an undergraduate in the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering (MABE)<http://mabe.utk.edu/>, is the recipient of the Howard Bernstein Industrial Distribution Scholarship ($5,000) and the AACE International Scholarship ($6,000) for the 2014-2015 academic year. The Howard Bernstein scholarship, which is sponsored by Ningbo Ruyi Joint Stock Co, is awarded by the Material Handling Education Foundation, Inc.

Webb works as an undergraduate assistant in the Electrochemical Energy Storage and Conversion Laboratory under the direction of MABE department head Dr. Matthew Mench. Webb will begin his senior year of studies in the fall.

[E. Lara Lash]
E. Lara Lash

Aerospace student Lash selected for
transatlantic program

E. Lara Lash, a master's degree student studying aerospace engineering at the University of Tennessee Space Institute (UTSI)<http://www.utsi.edu/>, has been selected to participate in the 2014 Transatlantic Program for Young Technology Leaders (TAP-YTL) during June 2014.
Read more >><http://www.utsi.edu/news/News_2014/release5-01-2014aerospacestudentselectedtransatlanticprogram.html>

[Burcu Simsir]
Burcu Simsir

Simsir wins Geosyntec paper competition

Burcu Simsir, a doctoral student working with Governor’s Chair Professor Dr. Frank Loeffler, won the 2014 Geosyntec Annual Student Paper Competition, sponsored by Geosyntec Consultants. This award recognizes Simsir's contributions to bioremediation research and illustrates the strength and breadth of UT’s Center for Environmental Biotechnology<http://www.ceb.utk.edu> and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering<http://cee.utk.edu>.

Simsir presented her paper, “Natural Attenuation in Streambed Sediment Receiving Chlorinated Solvents from Underlying Fracture Networks,” at the Ninth International Conference on Remediation of Chlorinated and Recalcitrant Compounds.
Read more about Simsir and the Loeffler Lab >><http://web.utk.edu/~microlab/LoefflerLab/Burcu_Simsir.html>

Alpha Nu Sigma chapter established
[Alpha Nu Sigma]
The new Alpha Nu Sigma chapter includes, from left to right, Dr. Martin Grossbeck, chapter advisor; Blake Palles; John Stooksbury; Daniel Hamm; Jennifer Littell; Cody Wiggins; Kaleb Darrow; and Danny Tran.

The Department of Nuclear Engineering<http://www.engr.utk.edu/nuclear/> initiated twenty charter members into its new chapter of Alpha Nu Sigma, the nuclear engineering honor society. The charter members were inducted into the new chapter at the Nuclear Engineering Awards Banquet held on April 24, 2014. Qualified students will be inducted on an annual basis to recognize high scholarship in the field of nuclear engineering.
Read more about Alpha Nu Sigma >><http://www.ans.org/const/ansnhs/>

STUDENT OPPORTUNITIES

[Romania]
Romanian countryside

COE presents alternative summer break trip to Romania

The College of Engineering Global Initiatives<http://www.engr.utk.edu/global/> program is accepting applications for an "alternative summer break" engineering service trip to Romania, for August 10-18, 2014. Students will Stay in the quaint village of Valea Screzii, three hours from Bucharest, while participating in an engineering-related community service project benefiting an orphanage. Students will also see castles in an excursion to villages in the Carpathian Mountains.

The program fee is $1495 plus plane fare. A limited number of $500 scholarships are available.
Read more >><http://www.engr.utk.edu/global/upcoming_trips.html>

Students can win $500 prize for transportation video

The American Road and Transportation Builders Association is sponsoring a video contest for students from elementary school through graduate school, with the top video in pre-college and the top video in college-graduate school each winning $500.

In the past, classes, school organizations and others have teamed up to make the videos, which must be two-four minutes long and examine some aspect of transportation in the US.

The deadline to enter is August 1. Winners will announced in September. Winning videos may be shown at ARTBA's national conference or on its website.
View a PDF of the rules >><http://www.engr.utk.edu/news/atcoe/pdf/2014_VideoContest_Flyer_Rules.pdf>
Read more >><http://artba.org/video-contest>

GRAMS offers assistance to EECS seniors and grad students

[CISML robot]The Graduate Assistantship for Masters Students (GRAMS) program is coordinated by the Center for Intelligence Systems and Machine Learning (CISML). This assistantship program is funded by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and the Science Alliance (a UT Center of Excellence). The program is restricted to master students who are US citizens and who are currently enrolled in full time graduate study at the University of Tennessee.
Read more >><http://cisml.utk.edu/GRAMS>

Computing and programming workshops ahead for summer

The Joint Institute for Computational Sciences (JICS) and NICS will host workshops on data-intensive computing and GPGPU programming from the Virtual School for Computational Science and Engineering on June 16–20 and June 30–2 via two-way high-definition video at the UT.
Read more >><https://www.nics.tennessee.edu/VSCSE-summer2014>

Camp to give high-school students look at transit systems

The Center for Transportation Research<http://ctr.utk.edu> will give area high school students a behind-the-scenes look at public transit in Knoxville and Atlanta when it hosts its first Transit Camp<http://stc.utk.edu/STCeducation/transit_camp.html> July 29-31 at the UT.  Open to high school sophomores, juniors and seniors, the camp is designed to spark interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and to showcase focus areas, such as public transit, that might not readily come to mind when engineering and technology are discussed.

The camp includes a trip to Atlanta to visit MARTA, the city's transit authority, and a scavenger hunt in Knoxville using Knoxville Area Transit buses and routes. Of particular note to students this year is that each participant will receive a $100 gift card at the conclusion of camp. The deadline to register is July 2, 2014.
Read more >><http://tntoday.utk.edu/2014/06/06/camp-knoxville-atlanta-transit-systems/>

[Engineering Professional Practice]

Stay up-to-date with Engineering Professional Practice information and events by clicking the “Like” button on the program’s Facebook page<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Knoxville-TN/Engineering-Professional-Practice/151569844861353>, following the program on Twitter<http://twitter.com/UTprofpractice>, visiting its website at www.coop.utk.edu<http://www.coop.utk.edu>, or calling 865-974-5323.

Featured student: Anna Eldreth

[Anna Eldreth]Our student this week is Anna Eldreth, at left, a civil engineering major who accepted a co-op at Eastern Federal Lands Highway Division/Federal Highway Administration located in Sterling, Virginia.

Eldreth describes the department she worked in and what her main responsibilities were.

"This summer, I worked for the Federal Highway Administration's Eastern Federal Lands Highway Division in the Construction department," said Eldreth. "I was sent on assignment to the Foothills Parkway "Missing Link" Project in Sevierville, Tennessee. My project was a massive bridge of similar design to the Linn Cove Viaduct, making it the second of its kind in the nation. I aided the project engineers on site with daily duties. This involved performing daily bridge inspections and making sure the contractor followed the plans."

Eldreth found valuable benefits in her co-op assignment.

[Anna Eldreth]"I have learned what aspects of schooling that I really need to pay attention to, and what I need to improve," said Eldreth. "I know now what real world aspects that I need to make sure that I know in order to be knowledge about in the working world. I actually want to take classes that aren't required so I can learn more. I want to be as prepared as possible when I enter the work force."

Students, please note: If you receive a co-op or internship offer, please contact Engineering Professional Practice for help with paperwork and any preparations you may need – [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, 865-974-5323, or 310 Perkins Hall.

Students may read more about their peers' co-op experiences by logging into their Engineering Professional Practice profile via www.coop.utk.edu<http://www.coop.utk.edu>, clicking "Resource Library" (on the left margin) and selecting "Students at Work–In Their Own Words." For information on engineering co-op and internships, contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or 865-974-5323.

[VolsTeach]

What else can you do with your major? You can now receive your degree and a secondary education teaching license with VolsTeach. The VolsTeach program is available to Math and Science majors who wish to expand their career options by earning a secondary education teaching license. Given the current economy VolsTeach offers one degree with two career paths which will make you more competitive in the future job market.

VolsTeach provides:
  *   early and frequent field experiences
  *   personal guidance by Master Teachers and program advisors
  *   the opportunity to have paid exclusive internships during regular and summer terms
  *   a comfortable learning environment that will further enhance your professional skill set

This is your opportunity to be a part of the program. VolsTeach is open to freshmen, sophomores and juniors who are ready to start a journey that will give them a chance to connect with the community. Become a part of this exciting venture by signing up for the Fall Step 1 course now.

For more information contact VolsTeach Coach, Jada Johnson at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or visit the program's Facebook page, VolsTeach, for current events, and the program's website, http://volsteach.utk.edu.

[Career Services]<http://www.career.utk.edu>

Career Services News

Hold the Dates for Fall Job Fairs/Recruiting Events

Engineering/STEM Career Success Kick-Off Week:
Friday, September 12-Wednesday, September 17
Career Carnival:
11:30 a.m.–2:00 p.m. Friday, September 12, Ferris/SERF Lawn
A fun outdoor carnival like outreach event to students, faculty and staff on the Engineering hill. Stop by and pick up a free hot dog, chili, soda or chips, speak with one of our employer reps, find out ways to get involved with a variety of our Engineering/STEM related professional student organizations, win prizes and more!

Tips and Tricks for Job Fair Success Workshop for Engineers/STEM Majors
4:00–5:00 p.m. Monday, September 15, Career Services, Dunford Hall
This workshop is open for ANY engineering or STEM majors interested in learning more about how to prepare for one of the upcoming fall job fairs. Presented by DENSO Manufacturing.

Just In Time Resume Critiques on the Hill
10:30 a.m.–3:00 p.m. Tuesday, September 16, South Lawn of Ayres Hall and Fourth Floor Entrance to Min Kao Building
Have your resume critiqued by one of our employer reps and learn more about the fall job fairs. Employers scheduled to attend include: MS Technology, DENSO and CDM Smith

Speed Networking Event for Engineers and STEM Majors-
5:30–8:00 p.m. Wednesday, September 17, University Center Ballroom
Practice your thirty-second introduction with employers in a timed fast paced environment and receive feedback in preparation for the fairs. This event requires registration with HIRE-a-VOL. Please check in your account under Upcoming Events to sign-up.

Fall Job Fair Week
Monday, September 22–Wednesday, September 24
Supply Chain Management Fair,
3:00–6:00 p.m. Monday, September 22, Thompson-Boling Arena Floor
Open to IE and ME majors interested in careers in operations.

Business, Retail and Government related Fair
3:00–6:00 p.m. Tuesday, September 23, Thompson-Boling Arena Floor
Open to Engineering students interested in careers in business or pharmaceutical sales.

Engineering/STEM Job Fair
3:00–6:00 p.m. Wednesday, September 24, Thompson-Boling Arena Floor
Open to ALL Engineering & STEM students and alumni looking for full-time and non-academic credit internships.

________________________________

EF 301— Career Services for Engineers
Planning your class schedule for Fall 2014? Don’t forget to register for EF 301 – Engineering Career Planning!

This class is offered each Spring and Fall semester and is taught 1:25–2:15 p.m. Mondays at Career Services, 100 Dunford Hall. This class is a perfect fit for all Juniors and Seniors and will equip students with the right tools to land that great job. Sophomores and Graduate Students may also register for the course as well. The class is offered on a 1-hour Satisfactory/No Credit basis and is taught by Career Services Consultant for the College of Engineering, April Gonzalez/Justin Rice. Expect visits from company representatives, tips and tricks from HR Recruiters, advice on resumes, cover letters, interviewing and salary negotiation and learn the ways you can stand out and get noticed at the job fairs.

Here’s what students are saying about the class:

“This is the most useful non-engineering class I have ever taken.  It gave me insider information about what employers are looking for during interviews and I have a resume that I feel great about!”

“Well thought out and put together course. I feel much more confident about job searching.”

“This class exceeded all my expectations – it really works!”

Don’t wait to sign up as space is limited and the class will fill up fast.

________________________________

For more information, contact April Gonzalez , Career Services Consultant—College of Engineering, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>; Justin Rice, STEM Consultant, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>; or call 865-974-5435. Check out www.career.utk.edu<http://www.career.utk.edu> for a list of all upcoming events.

CONTACT US
<http://www.engr.utk.edu/>Office of Engineering Communications<http://www.engr.utk.edu/news/oec.html>
114 Perkins Hall | Knoxville, TN 37996
E-mail: Send submissions for @COE to Randall Brown, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Phone: 865-974-0533 | Fax: 865-946-2560
Big Orange. Big Ideas.

To view the CAMPCOMM archives or Join/Leave the list:
http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/campcomm.html