Dear Geographers:

Just on Tuesday, I emailed you with the wonderful news that Dr. Kalafsky will receive the 2014 Higher Education Distinguished Teaching Award from the National Council for Geographic Education (NCGE).

Well, the accolades keep rolling in.  I just learned from NCGE that Professor Henri Grissino-Mayer is the recipient of the 2014 Geographic Excellence in Media (GEM) Award for his “Science of Tree Rings” website (http://web.utk.edu/~grissino/). The GEM award honors educational media that has made extraordinary contributions to the promotion of geographic literacy. A panel of NCGE reviewers agreed unanimously to honor this innovative, well-designed digital resource.

Dr. Grissino-Mayer will be presented during the National Conference on Geographic Education on Saturday, August 2 beginning at 5:00 pm at the Peabody Memphis Hotel in Memphis, TN.  If you will be at the Memphis meeting, try to attend the awards ceremony and see Drs. Grissino-Mayer and Kalafsky be recognized for their excellent work.

I agree with NCGE, Dr. Grissino-Mayer is a GEM of a geographer!  Please join me in congratulating him.

Best wishes,

Derek

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Professor & Head