Dear Geography majors, minors, and friends,

Are you looking for a course that will give you an opportunity to "do" physical geography?

This coming Fall I am teaching Geography 430: Global Environments of the Quaternary.  This course covers environmental changes from the Ice Ages to the present, with a focus on the impacts on human societies and the biosphere on long-term shifts in climate.

These long-term changes on our planet provide a useful context for thinking about modern environmental changes and problems.

A significant portion of the class will be devoted to giving you hands-on experience in the use of soils, sediments, and other earth archives such as cave stalagmites to learn about past environments and the effects of climate change and human activity on the biosphere.

Another way to say this is that you will get to play with dirt!  And, if you come on the field trip (optional but encouraged) you will get to play in the dirt!  You will also get to use some very cool lab instruments.

I have attached a flyer.  Please email me if you have questions.

Sincerely,

Sally Horn

Sally P. Horn, Professor
Department of Geography