Please pardon postings on multiple listservs.

The Research and Statistics Committee of the Reference Services Section of RUSA is pleased to announce 20th Reference Research Forum at the 2014 American Library Association Annual Conference in Las Vegas, NV.

Please come join us for the 20th Annual Reference Research Forum on Sunday, June 29th from 10:30-11:30 am (Room TBD)

The Reference Research Forum continues to be one of the most popular and valuable programs during the ALA Annual Conference, where attendees can learn about notable research projects conducted in the broad area of reference services such as user behavior, electronic services, reference effectiveness and assessment, and organizational structure and personnel.

This year, the Research & Statistics Committee is pleased to host the following presenters:

Building Relationships for the Effective Development and Delivery of Research Data Services Ixchel Faniel, Lynn Connaway, and Kendra Parson, OCLC

With the rise of eScience, the data deluge, and federal funding agency requirements for data management plans, libraries have begun to offer research data services. Yet we know little about the emergence of these services from the librarians’ point of view. This presentation is based on an analysis of interview data collected from 36 librarians. A major objective of the study is to explore librarians’ early experiences in developing and delivering research data services in order to consider how their experiences and the services can be improved.  By opening an early dialogue about the opportunities and challenges associated with library-provided research data services, we aim to consider practical, effective approaches to the development and delivery of such services within the academic community.

College Student Tech Usage: A Recent Survey of Trends Curt Friehs and Jason Kaloudis, SUNY College at Old Westbury

As a profession, librarians have spent considerable time focusing our efforts on the latest technology.  While today’s college students certainly use plenty of tech gear, librarians need to examine the causes and implications of patron driven tech use.  By surveying 187 students, we gained a better understanding of motivating factors that drive certain tech adaptions while focusing on the bigger picture.   A lot of these choices boil down to preferences as well as rising to the demands of being a full-time student who quite often works full-time as well.  Indeed over 90 percent of the students we surveyed take classes full-time and on-average students report working well over 20 hours a week.  It’s an eye opening perspective on the Millennial college student experience that provides insights into the desires and needs of a younger generation.

Libraries and the Affordable Care Act Jenny Bossaller and Guinevere Lawson, University of Missouri

During a four-month period (November 2013 to February 2014) we talked to 70 librarians across the United States to discuss their involvement with the Affordable Care Act. This exploratory study found few generalities, but we were able to divide the libraries into the following four categories:

·        Inaction. Some libraries do not have information, and have not had any programming in the library.

·        Minimal involvement. Outside organizations or navigators use meeting rooms and supply literature.

·        Working through navigators or with nonprofits. The library works with social services agencies or other navigators to create programs for the public; staff has been trained.

·        Extensive involvement. Librarians have attended navigator training and created programming and informational packets.

Our presentation will explain each these categories and will provide context for the action or inaction, which we believe is a result of the law’s uneven implementation, differing community needs, and attitudes of the community and librarians.

Please come join us for the 20th Annual Reference Research Forum on Sunday, June 29th from 10:30-11:30 am (Room TBD)

Ava Iuliano

Chair, RUSA RSS Research and Statistics Committee

Florida International University

Green Library 236C

11200 SW 8th St.

Miami, FL 33199

305.348.3137

Sarah Naper

Director of Research & Learning Services

Alkek Library

Texas State University

601 University Drive

San Marcos, TX 78666