Please do not reply to this message. Thank You. To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html

From: Cooper, Chris
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:28 PM
To: McCall, Wanda F
Subject: Winter School Before You Go!

MC900358985[1]  It's almost here!

The TMG Advocacy board is looking forward to welcoming you to Winter School 2014 - TN Master Gardeners’ best resource for education, networking and fun. There's so much in store. Be ready for an experience that will motivate and inspire you, from the outstanding speakers to the incredible learning activities to all the great gardening ideas we always gain at Winter School. Pay close attention to the information in this email – we want you to be as prepared as possible for a state conference like no other.

MC900419360[1]Getting There

TMG Winter School 2014 is in Murfreesboro, TN in the Community Center building at the Lane Agri-Center (315 John R. Rice Blvd).  When you turn off of John R. Rice Blvd, you will be facing the Administration Building.  Turn right to drive around that building, and then make another right.  Drive past the livestock barn and our meeting is in the next building on the left, the Community Center.  Parking is in the front of the building.

 MC900338318[1]     Registration Hours

Upon your arrival to the Lane Agri-Center’s Community Center, first you’ll stop by the registration desk in the Foyer to pick up your meeting materials, including your name badge, meal tickets, and program. You will only need to register once.  Hours for the registration desk are:

Wednesday, Feb 19

2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.  (accepting Silent Auction donations too)

Thursday, Feb 20

7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Friday, Feb 21

7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

MC900441704[1]  Conference Attire - What to Pack?

The attire for the conference is gardener casual (jeans, khakis, sweatshirts are just fine). It is February and we’ll be inside a very nice, heated metal building, so dress in layers that you can take off or put on as needed. In years past, we’ve had a few people complain about the plastic chairs getting a little hard throughout the day, so feel free to bring a pillow or blanket to sit on if you like.

MC900334308[1]  Social Reception

You are invited to a get-together at 8 p.m. on Thursday evening at the Comfort Suites hotel sponsored by the NETMG association.  Attire for this is casual, however we have a theme of “Raise Your Hat,” so wear your favorite gardening hat.

MC900030226[1]   Expected Weather

The middle TN forecast predicts a chance of rain with highs around 60 and lows around 40 during the conference. Be sure to plan accordingly and check the weather forecast just before leaving.

MC900357315[1]  First Day Activities - Thursday, Feb 20

Leadership Training

Opening Welcome

8:00 a.m.   Come meet Dr. Senseman, our new UT Plant Sciences Department Chair.  He will enlighten us on many great topics including UT’s plans for TMG’s future.

1st Time Attendee Orientation

9:45 a.m. - This interactive orientation is designed for new Winter School attendees and new TMG members to learn more about TMG ... come away with new friends, new ideas and a new connection to TMG.

Search for Excellence Presentations

11:00 a.m. - Hear about our SFE 2013 winning projects and gain ideas about how to take these projects back to your association.  We encourage you to start working now on your SFE application for next year!

Meet your UT Leadership

12:00 noon – Join your UT leaders for lunch and lively discussion.  This is your chance to get to talk with our great leaders one-on-one.

Regional Alliance Meetings

12:45 p.m. – Again this year we will have our TN regional alliance meetings.  Meet Master Gardeners from other associations within your region and discuss issues specific to your area.

Social Evening Event

8:00 p.m. – Comfort Suites meeting room (1st floor)

Don’t sit in your hotel room all night, join your fellow TMGs in fun fellowship and great conversation (on your travel expense report, this is our after dinner statewide networking event J).

MC900358991[1]     Second Day Activities - Friday, Feb 21

                                 Education Track

Opening Session

8:00 a.m. – We have a great opportunity to hear T.J. Tennent motivate and teach us about teamwork and diversity.

Healthy Plants

9:30 a.m. – Our own CSI class for Master Gardeners!  We will have 4 different stations teaching us how to become better plant detectives.

Awards Program

11:30 a.m. – Join us in anticipation as Chris Cooper makes very special announcements of our 2013 award winners.

Healthy People

1:00 p.m. – The second part of our educational track will be learning about horticultural therapy with hands-on ideas for using plants and gardening to improve the environment and people in general.

Silent Auction

2:45 p.m. – Silent auction ends and winners may pay for and pick up their items.  Good luck and bid high!

MC900089596[1]      Meals - What to expect?

We’re doing things a little differently this year.  Everyone who registers early will receive meal tickets in your registration envelope.  Please keep these tickets with you inside your name badge so you’ll have them handy to turn in before each lunch.  If you register late, meals will not be provided, however there are a few fast restaurants near the Agri-Center, or you may wish to bring your lunch.  The only special meals available will be for attendees who notified us ahead of time (allergies, etc.).  We have attempted to make our meals delicious and healthy for everyone…keeping in mind that tastes do vary and catering services are somewhat limited.  If you have extra-special needs, please make meal provisions on your own.

MC900237778[1]    Silent Auction

Don't forget to support the TMG Endowment by bringing items for our silent auction.  Items can be checked in Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2 p.m. – 5 p.m. and Thursday, Feb. 20, 7 a.m. – 12 noon.  Please include detailed information of your donated items (including the donor’s name) so they can be better described on the forms.

Please walk through and check out all the silent auction items frequently as bids can come in any time until closing on Friday.  If you are the lucky winner of an item, you can pay for and pick up your item after the final presentation ends at 2:45 p.m. Friday.

Bid High and Bid Often!

MC900082287[1]  Presenter Information

You can download the presenters’ information (slides, handouts, etc.) from our TMG website after you get home from Winter School. Presenters have been asked to share their slides with attendees, so give us a few days to get everything posted.

MC900441426[1]  Winter School Evaluation Feedback

Please take the time to complete the survey before you leave each day and let us know your feedback on the 2014 Winter School. Forms are at the registration desk and once completed, can be left in the box at the registration desk.  This is how we continuously improve and get our ideas for next year’s sessions, so make your voice count!

MC900200237[1]  Questions?

Please visit our website at http://mastergardener.tennessee.edu/ , post your question to our Facebook page (Tennessee Master Gardener), or contact your county Extension agent in charge of Master Gardeners.

MC900105220[1]   Volunteer Assistance

The TN Advocacy board gives a HUGE thank you for the wonderful assistance provided by the Rutherford County Master Gardeners and the Rutherford County Extension service.  We simply could not hold this conference without their long hours of dedicated work.

Christopher M. Cooper, PhD

UT Extension - Shelby County

7777 Walnut Grove Road

Suite B, Box 21

Memphis, TN 38120-2140

Phone (901) 752-1207

Fax (901) 752-6240

email: [log in to unmask]

website: http//www.memphisareamastergardeners.org

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Did your email address change? Visit http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html Remove your old email and add your new email address to continue receiving timely updates. Have you visited the Master Gardener Store? https://web.dii.utk.edu/agstore/c-49-master-gardener.aspx Check out the super comfortable Gardener's Kneeling Pads! To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html