Kent State University is seeking nominations and applications for the position of Director of the School of Library and Information Science.  We are seeking a dynamic and passionate individual to lead the school and collegial faculty in continued academic excellence.

Kent State offers exciting opportunities for a new director to lead our current initiatives and expand our entrepreneurial endeavors. We welcome consideration of this opportunity for yourself or a colleague, and encourage applications, nominations or further inquiry. Additional information about the position can be found below and at http://www.kent.edu/slis/people/directorfacultysearches.cfm.

Kent State offers the only ALA-accredited MLIS in Ohio on two campuses - one in Kent and one in Columbus, and additionally through the online learning environment.  Our solid program of study offers coursework in traditional library services such as public and youth librarianship, K-12 school libraries, and organization of information, as well as new courses in museum studies and digital libraries and preservation. The program is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of the nation's top 20 LIS graduate programs, with a youth librarianship program that is ranked 10th. It is one of the largest programs in the country, with more than 600 students enrolled.

SLIS also offers the Master of Science in Information Architecture and Knowledge Management (with concentrations in health informatics, knowledge management and user experience design) and participates in an interdisciplinary Ph.D. in the College of Communication and Information.

For more information, visit www.kent.edu/slis<http://www.kent.edu/slis>.

I would be happy to answer questions you might have about the school, the position or the search process.

Sincerely,

LuEtt Hanson, Ph.D.
Chair, SLIS Director Search
Associate Dean, College of Communication and Information
Kent State University
Office phone: 330-672-2950
Fax: 330-672-2952

Kent State University
Position Available: Director of the School of Library and Information Science

Kent State University invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of the School of Library and Information Science. The successful candidate will be a dynamic leader and a creative, entrepreneurial visionary who can realize the School's current initiatives and foster an innovative and productive school of library and information science that educates professionals, leaders, scholars and active participants for the knowledge economy.

Qualifications

The successful candidate should have:

*        an earned doctorate in Library and Information Science, or related field;

*        a research and teaching record appropriate to appointment at the rank of professor;

*        demonstrated leadership skills related to management of academic or related programs, including an understanding of business models, financial management, and distance learning through a variety of formats and platforms;

*        a collaborative management style, with effectiveness in change management;

*        creative, entrepreneurial, and inclusive leadership abilities;

*        a commitment to academic excellence and student success;

*        an ability to recruit, sustain, and retain faculty and staff;

*        an ability to effectively represent the School within the College and University, to prospective and current students, to alumni, and to external organizations, agencies, and other stakeholders;

*        a demonstrated commitment to diversity.

The School of Library and Information Science:

*        Is one of the largest professional library and information science programs in North America, with 650 graduate students at two program sites in Ohio and thriving online and distance components.

*        Is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of the nation's top 18 graduate schools in the field, and the youth librarianship program is ranked 10th.

*        Offers the only American Library Association accredited Master's degree program (MLIS) in Ohio, with strengths ranging from traditional library careers such as public librarianship, children's & young adult, K-12 school libraries, and organization of information to digital libraries, digital preservation, and museum studies.

*        Offers the Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) and the Master of Science (MS) in Information Architecture and Knowledge Management (IAKM); both degrees are also offered online.

*        Has facilities at two campuses, Kent and Columbus (housed in the State Library of Ohio), with newly renovated and expanded spaces for research and instruction.

*        Is characterized by a creative, innovative, diverse, collegial, collaborative and highly productive faculty, with an excellent record in scholarship and grantsmanship.

*        Is a member of a dynamic, unique college, the College of Communication and Information, whose other schools are Communication Studies, Journalism and Mass Communication, and Visual Communication Design, with demonstrated success in collaboration and inter-disciplinary research.

*        Offers doctoral studies through the CCI interdisciplinary doctoral program.

*        Is a leader on campus in the use of information technologies for pedagogical innovations and online course delivery, having instructional support staff as well as student services staff.
Additional information about the School is available at www.kent.edu/slis<http://www.kent.edu/slis>.

Kent State University:
*        Northeast Ohio's No.1 choice among public universities
*        Northeast Ohio college students choose Kent State more than any other university.
*        Ranked one of the top-tier Best National Universities by U.S. News & World Report.
*        Programs, schools and colleges ranked among the world's best.
*        Ranked by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching among the nation's top 74 public high-research universities.
*        Generated $1.96 billion in added income to the Northeast Ohio economy.
*        More than 200,000 graduates worldwide.
*        Celebrating more than 100 years of excellence in action

Kent State University is committed to the creation and nurturing of a diverse community of individuals through inclusive excellence. Diversity involves recognizing the value of differences and the inclusion of all members of the community. This is one of several core values we embrace as we strive for a culturally diverse student body, faculty and staff that reflect the multicultural nature of Ohio, the nation, and our world. Our diverse community reflects the unique strengths and abilities, which contribute to our pursuit of Inclusive Excellence in Action.

Salary is competitive and benefits are excellent (KSU offers a full range of benefits: http://www.kent.edu/hr/forms/benefits/upload/ft-benefits-in-brief.pdf). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The search committee will begin reviewing applications on February 8, 2014. The preferred starting date is August 1, 2014.

A letter of interest and vitae should be submitted online at https://jobs.kent.edu/. Names of at least three references should be provided with the application.

For additional information, questions or nominations, interested parties should contact:

LuEtt Hanson, PhD, Search Committee Chair
Associate Dean
College of Communication and Information
Kent State University
Phone: 330-672-2950