---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 06:54:03 -0500
From: Suzanne Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
To: Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: most demanding courses in LIS

No, it's not graduate education. It's not even good undergraduate
education. LSU expects at least a mid-term and a final. As I always
explain to C&C, I don't give exams because a research paper provides
better evidence of the student's ability to analyze and synthesize the
information learned in the class and apply it to a problem or situation.

I'm fairly confident that the SLIS faculty who do give exams give
short-answer/essay exams, not multiple choice, which also require students
to analyze and synthesize and apply.

Graduate students should feel that their minds and world are expanding.
The challenge should not exceed their grasp, which means that it is
unattainable, but it should force them to stretch mentally.

How challenging a course is surely depends on the interaction among the
student, the teacher and the topic. Some of our students are challenged by
any course that requires them to understand the basis of technology,
because their experience is limited to consumption. For instance,
understanding what a relational database is and how it functions is
essential to understanding the relationship between a bibliographic
database and an authority file. Students who may be fine with descriptive
cataloging fail at authority work because they simply cannot grasp the
concept of relational database; they keep merging the authority record
into the bibliographic record. A perennial challenge in cataloging is the
student who is doing copy cataloging and has to overcome bad habits; one
student this semester is struggling with the 490/8xx concept because her
library still uses 440. The distinction between transcription field and
access point is not one that has been dealt with on the job. Students who
never heard of the 440 don't have to deal with this.

After cataloging, reference (by any other name) was probably the most
demanding course in my MLS program, and it continues to be, both because
of the amount of work required and because it requires working in areas
with which the students are unfamiliar. I had no trouble with biographical
sources, indexes and abstracts, and social science/humanities resources,
but was driven to tears by maps and government documents.

Others struggle with systems evaluation, because they have no background
in evaluating technology at that level, or with management, because they
have no business background, so it is all new.

I have been told that my seminar in the history of books and libraries is
"demanding" because it requires students to understand and utilize modern
theoretical perspectives and methodologies and to produce original thought
(usually a historiography) rather than just read a lot of articles and
summarize them.

Suzanne M. Stauffer, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Louisiana State University
277 Coates Hall
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
(225)578-1461
Fax: (225)578-4581

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

--T.S. Eliot, "Choruses from The Rock"