> On Behalf Of Suzanne Stauffer, LSU
> Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:18 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: P&T standards
>
> Our College is in the process of creating a P&T policy, and -- at the
>direction of the university -- wants objective criteria; i.e., they want
>numbers.

I would advise looking carefully at your Faculty Handbook for the
standards that they ask for for the university, and investigate what
guidelines this Handbook advises.

I would also advise a thorough analysis of what quantitative measures
mean:  Number of articles or books published, number of pages, impact
factor according to ISI metrics, postings in scholarly discussion groups,
national and international awards received.

At least at some universities, tenure can be granted not only on research
but creative activity.  Both are given equal measure.  While this
designation traditionally has been reserved for the arts (painting, music)
and humanities (creative writing) I would argue that it also can be
applied to creative uses of information technologies not only in teaching
but in research.  Not a lot of folks have done so, but a few have and won
awards for it.