University Of Tennessee College of Social Work News

[log in to unmask]" alt="UT Wordmark">

[log in to unmask]" alt="College of Social Work offers Online MSSW and DSW">

You're receiving this email because you are a friend of the College of Social Work.
Having trouble viewing this e-mail?  View it in your browser.

[log in to unmask]" alt="Forward to Friend">

College of Social Work Unveils New Website

The University of Tennessee, College of Social Work, has unveiled a new website. Visit our site at http://www.csw.utk.edu

[log in to unmask]" alt="https://www.sworps.tennessee.edu/csw/email/2014_2_26/images/web.png">

Faculty Honored for Achievements

Sungkyu Lee and Elizabeth Strand from the College of Social Work were featured in the February 17, 2014, issue of Tennessee Today, as Faculty of the University who are making an impact on student lives, on our community, and on the world.

Dr. Sungkyu Lee

Dr. Lee is recognized for his work improving mental health services for diverse populations.

[log in to unmask]" alt="Dr. Sungkyu Lee">
Dr. Sungkyu Lee

He states, “I just love social work because it continuously helps me understand myself better, and I believe I am doing something important that makes a difference.”

The South Korean native volunteers in a variety of social work arenas, including leading a monthly group meeting for cancer survivors in Atlanta. He encourages his students to expand their worldview by “exposing themselves to a variety of experiences as much as they can.”

Dr. Elizabeth Strand

Dr. Strand began researching the link between human and animal violence in 2002 while working on a doctorate at UT, thanks to the influence of her mentors who also were interested in the same topic. As she read through the literature, she recognized that social work addressed just about every field except veterinary medicine.

[log in to unmask]" alt="https://www.sworps.tennessee.edu/csw/email/2014_2_26/images/strand_sm.png">
Dr. Elizabeth Strand

As a result, she created UT’s Veterinary Social Work initiative, now regarded as one of the leading programs of its type in the country. Strand, who has a joint appointment in the College of Social Work and College of Veterinary Medicine, researches human-animal relationships within the family system, and human stress in veterinary and other animal-related environments.

“I love bringing the two professions together,” said Strand, a Knoxville native. “I love the new creative ideas that come from that. I love healing people through the power of animals. I love working with veterinarians who are just fabulous human beings.”

University of Tennessee College of Social Work
1618 Cumberland Ave. | 109 Henson Hall | Knoxville, TN 37996-3333
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Phone: 865.974-3351 | Fax: 865.974-4803
Big Orange. Big Ideas.

[log in to unmask]" alt=Twitter>   [log in to unmask]" alt="Link to Facebook">    [log in to unmask]" alt="Link to LinkIn">

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= To view the CAMPCOMM archives or Join/Leave the list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/campcomm.html