Dear colleague:

I'm writing to share information with you about the British Studies Program
offered by The University of Southern Mississippi and consortium partners,
and to ask for your help in providing information about LIS 580/587:
British Libraries & Information Centers to students who may be interested.
If appropriate, would you please pass along to your student listserv?

This June students will once again have the opportunity to study library &
information science/archival studies in London through a four-week course
offered by the British Studies Program.  For details on the course and on
our program point your browser to http://www.usm.edu/bsp.

The program is offered June 26 - July 27, 2014. The course carries six
hours of graduate credit from The University of Southern Mississippi, a
fully-accredited institution of higher learning, and the School of Library
& Information Science, a program accredited by the American Library
Association. Credit is transferable; we recommend you check with your home
institution regarding its policies for credit transfer.

The course focuses on historic repositories in Britain, covering the
history and scope of specific collections as well as their organization and
preservation. Our classrooms are the libraries, archives, and museums of
London and Edinburgh. We won't be hearing from boring lecturers; rather,
we'll be on-site, hearing directly from British librarians, archivists, and
curators who give us a guided behind-the-scenes tour, share their
expertise, and show us examples from their collections.

Students from all areas of librarianship and archival studies will benefit
from the course – public librarianship, academic librarianship, youth
services, adult services, school librarianship, archival studies, library
history, history of the book, and international librarianship.  In addition
to the sites we will visit together as a class, students are expected to
visit additional sites related to their particular area of interest and to
gather information for a scholarly research paper, which will be due a few
weeks after we return to the states.

The course is taught by Dr. Teresa S. Welsh [[log in to unmask]],
Associate Professor, Southern Miss School of Library & Information Science.
Learn more about the course at
http://www.usm.edu/library-information-science/british-studies.

The British Studies Program stays in central London at King's College in
one of their dormitories. The rooms are small, but everyone gets a private
room with mini-fridge and private bath. Everyone has access to a shared
kitchen and the dorm has a large courtyard which serves as a social center
of the program. Participants quickly make friends with the other students
from across the country.

The dorm is on Stamford Street, approximately a hundred yards from Waterloo
Station. The central location puts you just a few minutes' walk from
Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, and the theater district.  Most people
walk when they're headed to central London because it's so close.

The cost for the program is $7,599 for graduate students. This price
includes tuition, air travel, housing, and academic travel (day trips to
Oxford Bodleian Library and to Stratford-upon-Avon), including a four-day
trip outside London to Edinburgh.  The deadline to apply is April 21, 2014.
Qualified students can usually get financial aid just as if this were a
course you were taking in the U.S.  You apply through your local financial
aid office.  The International Programs office at Southern Miss is more
than happy to provide you with information and assistance regarding
financial aid and credit transfer.

Feel free to contact us with any further questions regarding this course of
the program in general.  For more information about the program visit our
website:

http://www.usm.edu/bsp

Hope to see you in London!

Dr. Dave Davies