Greetings!  The ACRL Library & Information Science Education Interest Group will meet twice in Philadelphia in conjunction with the ALISE and ALA conferences.  Please share this information widely with interested librarians, LIS faculty, and LIS students.

EVENT ONE:

ALISE Discussion on Connecting LIS Educators to Academic Library Professionals and Practitioners

Thursday, January 23rd, 2014

12:00 – 1:30 p.m. EST

DoubleTree Hotel Philadelphia Center City, Ormandy Ballroom West, Lobby Level

237 South Broad Street Philadelphia, PA

Topic: Participants will discuss how to establish and sustain a formal connection between LIS educators and academic library professionals and practitioners.

Drexel’s CCI will provide beverages and desserts—participants are invited to bring their own lunch. ACRL members can attend this discussion session without having to register for the ALISE Conference.

Event Details & RSVP: bit.ly/1kmsXQY

EVENT TWO:

ACRL LIS Education Interest Group Discussion on Strategies to Enhance LIS Education

Saturday, January 25th, 2014

8:30 – 10:00 a.m. EST

Pennsylvania Convention Center, Room 126 B

1101 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19107

Topic: Library and Information Science educators and academic librarians are invited to engage in a lively and pragmatic discussion of strategies to promote the effective alignment of LIS education with the evolving needs of the academic library workplace. We will hear from Nora Bird and Michael Crumpton, UNC-Greensboro, with an update on the Real Learning Connections project, a joint initiative between the University Libraries (UL) and the Library and Information Studies (LIS) department.  We’ll also exchange ideas for keeping up with the latest developments in theory and practice.

We hope to see you at one or both of these events!

If you would like to be added to the ACRL LIS Education IG email list, please contact Sue Searing, 2013-14 convener:

Susan E. Searing

Interim Associate University Librarian for User Services

246E Main Library, 1408 West Gregory Drive

Urbana, Illinois 61801 USA

Telephone: 217-333-0318

Fax: 217-244-4358

Email: [log in to unmask]