Dear Geographers,

Just a reminder about tomorrow's Hammond lecture - please see the details below. And, special thanks to Dr. Alderman for writing the excellent ad copy for tomorrow's event!

Thanks,

Ron Kalafsky

The Hammond Lecture will be delivered tomorrow (Thursday) at the Hodges Library.  Our 2013-2014 Hammond Lecture will be delivered by Dr. Marshall Shepherd, Professor and Director of the Program in Atmospheric Sciences in the Department of Geography at the University of Georgia. Dr. Shepherd also holds the important position of President of the American Meteorological Society.  We are quite fortunate to have such a distinguished scholar serving as our "Hammond Lecturer."  Moreover, as an African American scientist, Dr. Shepherd embodies much of our Department's commitment to addressing under-represented groups in the discipline and attracting a greater diversity of voices to UTK campus.  The title of Dr. Shepherd’s talk is: "Can Cities Create or Modify Precipitation, Storms, and Floods? Have we answered this question and what is next in 2014 and beyond?"

Every year's Hammond Lecture is a special event for our Department, but it is especially significant and poignant this year in light of Mrs. Elizabeth Hammond's passing in spring 2013. A reception honoring Dr. Shepherd and the Hammond family will be held in the Library’s Mary Greer Room in Hodges beginning at 3:00 on January 30.  At 3:35, we will assemble in the Hodges Library Auditorium to begin the Hammond Lecture, hearing first from Dr. Carol Harden (who will say a few words about the Hammond Family) and then Dr. Grissino-Mayer (who will introduce Dr. Shepherd). The logistics are still in the works, but there are plans for Dr. Shepherd to meet with students at 1:30 tomorrow, as well.