CHAPEL HILL - Sara Mannheimer has been appointed curator of the Dryad Digital Repository, a curated general-purpose repository that makes the data underlying scientific publications discoverable, freely reusable and citable. The Dryad Digital Repository is a National Science Foundation funded joint project with the School of Information and Library Science (SILS) Metadata Research Center (MRC) at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent).

"The Dryad team is thrilled to have Sara on board as our curator," said Dr. Jane Greenberg, co-Principal Investigator of the Dryad Digital Repository project, director of the MRC and SILS professor. “The Dryad curator needs to be able to balance day-to-day curation tasks with ongoing development of our workflow, supervision of students and communication to journal partners. Sara handles this work with great enthusiasm and charm.”

Mannheimer facilitates new data submissions and executes the curation workflow from deposition through to data publication. She performs metadata enrichment, verifies file integrity review and oversees format migrations as needed. She also serves as the chief contact for depositor and journal curation activities and supervises a staff of three assistant curators, all SILS students. Mannheimer has led the Dryad preservation plan development with SILS doctoral student, Ayoung Yoon. She provides feedback on system development and leads students in a range of activities to track and improve Dryad’s overall curation.

"The curator is very much at the heart of the repository, and we are extremely pleased to have someone with Sara's talents in this key role," said Dr. Todd Vision, co-Principal Investigator of the Dryad Digital Repository project, assistant professor Biology, UNC at Chapel Hill and associate Director of Informatics at NESCent.

For more about the Dryad Digital Repository, go to: http://datadryad.org/

Wanda Monroe

Director of Communications

School of Information and Library Science

04 Manning Hall, CB#3360

Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3360

919.843.8337

sils.unc.edu