Greetings,
   An excellent suggestion.  I just looked at the ASIST awards, and I doubt
if students of today know who James Cretsos was, or Watson Davis. But the
students can aspire to awards named after these individuals. I personally
am not sure who these people were or what their intellectual or
administrative feats that they achieved.
   I also note that there are some corporate folks who have awards named
after them - ProQuest, and Thomson-Reuters for example.  These also could
be collectively reviewed.  The ProQuest statement does give a skimpy but
reasonably clear objective. I'd list the items as 2, 3, 1, 5, 6, 4.  The
Thompson-Routers statement is more detailed, and includes more mechanics.
But both migh benefit from new reviews by named and un-named
associations.  Neither really gives a strong statement of purpose or
objective.
   And, perhaps these omissions and reviews will indicate gaps: Lester
Asheim, for example.  How would you formulate an award, in what kind of
school, for his work and contribution to the library profession? And for
what?  And there is no SR Ranganathan award for something.  Yet he had a
profound influence on LIS.
   Who do you as a community want to honor with an award?  And for what?
What are the 10 most signficant contributions to the LIS community in the
last 100-150 years?
   As the poster suggested, it is important to LIS history to communicate
not only to the awardee, but to the larger community, the legacy that is
being passed down and expected of the awardee.
   I hope that her suggestions are given serious consideration by the LIS
community.
   An interesting conversation.  Please keep it going.
   --gw

Gretchen Whitney, PhD, Retired
School of Information Sciences
University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN 37996 USA           [log in to unmask]
http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/
jESSE:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/jesse.html
SIGMETRICS:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html