Dear UTK Geography Community:

I am pleased to announce our 2013-2014 Hammond Lecture will be delivered by Dr. Marshall Shepherd, Professor and Director for Program in Atmospheric Sciences in the Department of Geography at the University of Georgia. Dr. Shepherd also holds the important position of President of the American Meteorological Society.  We are quite fortunate to have such a distinguished scholar serving as our "Hammond Lecturer."

Dr. Shepherd will deliver his talk on Thursday, January 30, 2014, 3:30-5:00pm  (location to be announced).
For more on Dr. Shepherd, please see link below.
http://geography.uga.edu/directory/profile/shepherd-marshall/

The Hammond Lecture is an annual event funded by the generous donations of Dr. Edwin Hammond and his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Hammond as well as their family and friends.  Elizabeth Hammond passed away in spring 2013 and the UT Department of Geography will acknowledge her and the Hammond family in a special way at the upcoming lecture.

Below is a title and abstract for Dr. Shepherd's talk.

"Can Cities Create or Modify Precipitation, Storms, and Floods? Have we answered this question and what is next in 2014 and beyond?"

Abstract: The heat island, air pollution, and urban flooding are well-known manifestations of how the built environment can modify hydrometeorological or climate processes. However, many researchers and stakeholders are not as familiar with the notion that urbanization can affect rainfall or storms. For nearly 100 years or more, Horton, Changnon, Bornstein, and a host of other scholars have posed questions like "Do cities initiate storms? or "Can urbanization affect convective storms? This talk will provide a contemporary assessment of such questions within the context of a century's worth of historical research. It will also review observational and modeling methods that Dr. Shepherd's research has employed over the past 20 years to advance the topic. The discussion will also offer insights on how urban hydrometeorological research should be evolving to meet challenges and opportunities within the academic, practitioner, and policy-making communities.

Thank you,
Derek

Derek H. Alderman, PhD
Professor & Head