University Of Tennessee College of Social Work News

UT Wordmark

College of Social Work

You're receiving this email because you are a friend of the College of Social Work.
Having trouble viewing this e-mail?  View it in your browser.

Forward to Friend

Stimulus Fall/Winter 2013

UT CSW Homecoming Gala

Information

Registration

Stimulus Alumni Magazine Focuses on Trauma and Tennessee Soldiers and Veterans

The Fall/Winter issue of Stimulus took an extensive look at the needs of our military servicepersons and veterans and showcased the ways in which the UT College of Social Work is responding to some of those needs.

The college conducted an extensive needs assessment and review of literature related to mental health needs of veterans and has published a detailed report entitled Invisible Injuries: The Mental Health Needs of Tennessee Veterans. Key findings and other resources are available at the Stimulus media enhanced site.

To step forward in meeting the need for skilled professionals ready to respond with sound trauma-informed practice, the college has initiated the Trauma Treatment Graduate Certificate (TTGC). This certificate program is open to currently enrolled MSSW students. Dr. Becky Bolen, chair of the program reports, "Knowledge related to trauma and its treatment has grown exponentially in recent years. Much of this is due to the increased understanding of the neurophysiological effects of trauma."

Bruce Marshall and Julia Vanover

UT CSW MSSW Graduates Lt. Col. Bruce Marshall and Capt. Julia Vanover, LCSW, USAF, 386 AEW/HC

The college has also sought to pursue excellence in preparing skilled social workers by making the Online MSSW program available to servicewomen and servicemen, accommodating their special circumstances and allowing them to earn a master's degree while still on active duty. Read about three of our past and present students in the current issue of Stimulus.

Karen Sowers, Dean of the College of Social Work, states, "We are determined to broaden our course and program offerings in order to give our clinicians the tools they require to adequately meet the needs of traumatized clients, including those who have served in the armed forces."

For more news about the College of Social Work,

Link to Facebook

Twitter

CONTACT US
University of Tennessee Knoxville, College of Social Work
1618 Cumberland Ave. | 109 Henson Hall | Knoxville, TN 37996-3333
E-mail: cswnews@utk.edu
Phone: 865.974-3351 | Fax: 865.974-4803
Big Orange. Big Ideas.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= To view the CAMPCOMM archives or Join/Leave the list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/campcomm.html