Hello, Sarah,
Can you give me a few more details about the graduate student responsibilities within the editorial process of Social Problems?  At what time would the Skype chats happen?  Would we need to have any required skills or writing levels to participate?
An editing workshop at the 2014 SSSP meeting would be great!

Best,Erin Pischke
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 03:59:18 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SSSP Graduate Student News
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear SSSP Graduate Students:

For those of you who were able to attend, we hope you enjoyed the SSSP conference as much as we did. We  certainly
 enjoyed meeting some of you at the new member breakfast, the graduate student meeting, at the happy hour, and in-between.  Are you aware that about 40% of the membership of SSSP
 are graduate students??!!  We (Margaret and Sarah, the Graduate Student representatives on the SSSP Board of Directors) will be working on communicating more consistently via this listserv regarding the opportunities and deadlines through the year that may
 be of particular interest to students.

There is one piece of news in which many you may be particularly interested.  Becky
 Pettit, the current editor of Social Problems,
 relies on graduate students to assist with the editorial process.  Currently,
 the students are affiliated with three universities in the Pacific Northwest; however, the opportunity to participate is open to any SSSP graduate student.  This
 is a substantial commitment (one year, meeting via skype every other week, and reading and responding to about two articles/month), but it is also a substantial learning opportunity because of the quality mentorship and guidance Becky and her staff offer along
 the way.  The journal
 is highly regarded with a consistently strong impact factor, and you would be part of its continued success.  If
 you are interested, e-mail Becky right away ([log in to unmask])
 and ask her how you can become involved;
she will be the editor only seven more months or so.

The incoming editors have also indicated their commitment to mentoring and including graduate students in the process, and we will pursue options for graduate student
 participation in the editorial process with them as well.  Therefore, if involvement in the editorial process of
Social Problems appeals to you, please let us know of your interest; respond directly to
or [log in to unmask]
 Knowing the level of interest will assist us in our efforts to create more professional development opportunities within SSSP.

In addition, we are considering organizing a related workshop for graduate students on the editorial and peer review
 process at the 2014 SSSP annual meeting. Would you be interested in attending such a workshop? If so, please contact one or both of us at the email addresses below as soon as you are able so that we can request appropriate resources.

We hope to hear from you soon.  Let us know if you have any questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Sarah Hendricks

Drake University

Margaret Austin Smith

University of Maryland

To view the archives or Join/Leave the SSSP-G list:
To view the archives or Join/Leave the SSSP-G list: