Dear SSSP Graduate Students,

I wanted to take this opportunity to clear up a miscommunication about
opportunities regarding the current student editorial board of Social
Problems, since the editor and editorial assistant have already received a
number of inquiries about this.  Student editors have played a very active
role in our review process at the journal.  However, we are already well
into our final year of editing the journal at University of Washington,
with less than nine months left.  The current board was selected in the
spring, since there is a formal orientation required and various startup
costs associated with learning the student editor role, which requires a
minimum one-year commitment. At this point, we are unable to add additional
student editors.

That said, for those who emailed us already, we will pass on your emails to
the new editors, and we expect that information about any future
opportunities for graduate student participation in the journal's process
will be made known at the appropriate time (our term ends May 2014).  In
addition, there are also plans to offer panels focusing on how to get
published and how to write reviews at the next annual meeting.

If you have any questions about submitting to Social Problems, please
contact me at [log in to unmask]  Graduate student work has constituted a
substantial portion of the scholarship we publish.  You can now read some
of the articles from the forthcoming November issue of Social Problems on
JSTOR at the following URL:
http://www.jstor.org/stable/socialproblems.just-accepted

Best wishes,
Erin

Erin Powers
Managing Editor
Social Problems
University of Washington

*____________
Sarah Diefendorf*
The University of Washington
editorial assistant, *Social Problems*

> ------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 03:59:18 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: SSSP Graduate Student News
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
>  Dear SSSP Graduate Students:
>
> For those of you who were able to attend, we hope you enjoyed the SSSP
> conference as much as we did. We  certainly enjoyed meeting some of you
> at the new member breakfast, the graduate student meeting, at the happy
> hour, and in-between.  Are you aware that about 40% of the membership of
> SSSP are graduate students??!!  We (Margaret and Sarah, the Graduate
> Student representatives on the SSSP Board of Directors) will be working on
> communicating more consistently via this listserv regarding the
> opportunities and deadlines through the year that may be of particular
> interest to students.
>
> There is one piece of news in which many you may be particularly
> interested.  Becky Pettit, the current editor of *Social Problems*,
> relies on graduate students to assist with the editorial process.  Currently,
> the students are affiliated with three universities in the Pacific
> Northwest; however, the opportunity to participate is open to any SSSP
> graduate student.  This is a substantial commitment (one year, meeting
> via skype every other week, and reading and responding to about two
> articles/month), but it is also a substantial learning opportunity because
> of the quality mentorship and guidance Becky and her staff offer along the
> way.  The journal is highly regarded with a consistently strong impact
> factor, and you would be part of its continued success.  If you are
> interested, e-mail Becky right away ([log in to unmask]) and ask her how you
> can become involved; she will be the editor only seven more months or so.
>
> The incoming editors have also indicated their commitment to mentoring and
> including graduate students in the process, and we will pursue options
> for graduate student participation in the editorial process with them as
> well.  Therefore, if involvement in the editorial process of *Social
> Problems* appeals to you, please let us know of your interest; respond
> directly to [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]<[log in to unmask]>.
> Knowing the level of interest will assist us in our efforts to create more
> professional development opportunities within SSSP.
>
>  In addition, we are considering organizing a related workshop for
> graduate students on the editorial and peer review process at the 2014 SSSP
> annual meeting. Would you be interested in attending such a workshop? If
> so, please contact one or both of us at the email addresses below as soon
> as you are able so that we can request appropriate resources.
>
> We hope to hear from you soon.  Let us know if you have any questions or
> comments.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Sarah Hendricks
> Drake University
>
> Margaret Austin Smith
> [...]

To view the archives or Join/Leave the SSSP-G list: