> Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 11:08:59 -0400
> From: Karen Weaver <[log in to unmask]>

Good questions.

> "People"  not the equivalent of "Users"

These are the two terms used in the examples that I found.  I would define
"people" as the total population in the community that you serve.  I would
define "users" as the people who actually use your services through
whatever technology.  Remember that there are likely to be a whole lot of
"people" who don't for whatever reason. Remember that there was also a
push to connect this triumverate with a local acronym to make it cute
/h/h/h/h memorable, so that if you were a "University" you were more
likely to use "users" than "people."

> "Information" not the equivalent of "Knowledge"

The differences between data, information, knowledge, and wisdom is a
classic question.  They are indeed, very different (IMHO).

We begin with poetry (and Frank Zappa).  I refer you to:

http://poeticsofthought.wordpress.com/tag/t-s-eliot/

which presents the important lines from The Rock.

Then, examine

http://tinyurl.com/pzxdo35

which appears to be some kind of course document, undated, from the U
Illinois about 2011.  It primarily repeats Ackoff's assertions from 1989.
(ref. included, that seems to be the classic work).  I'd personally push
Wisdom more toward the spiritual end of things, but at least the author
acknowledges that the question exists.

A counterpunch is at

http://www.academia.edu/343239/The_data-information-knowledge-wisdom_hierarchy_and_its_antithesis

which I was able to get to by ignoring demands to sign up for various
accounts with services.

> Names of an organization do not define "information science" either-
> why would it?

An organization might in its mission statement or elsewhere define
"information science", if that phrase is part of its name.  It might use
the definition to distinguish itself from others also using the phrase as
part of their name.  Mission statements and other
associations/organization documents are a logical place to look for
definitions.

> Why is "documentation" in your "technology section" ?

Given my background with information technolgy, I associate documentation
with instructions on how to use information technology. If you have a
better place for it, I'd be happy to hear about your suggestions.

> Bibliography was always associated with "documentation" roots btw
> much more than "technology"   jumped that bandwagon

I don't understand your comment here.  I associate "bibliography" with a
disciple or culture, and "documentation" with an information technology.
Please explain your ideas.

--gw

Gretchen Whitney, PhD, Retired
School of Information Sciences
University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN 37996 USA           [log in to unmask]
http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/
jESSE:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/jesse.html
SIGMETRICS:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html