Dear Club Geographers:

I hope your semester is off to a good and productive start.  Please do not ignore or delete this email, especially if you have some artistic skills.  The Department of Geography needs you!

It is my pleasure to announce the start of a contest to design a logo or graphic representation of the Department.   We are open to any tasteful design, but especially one that that captures and symbolizes the identity of the Geography program and, if possible, its relationship with the University of Tennessee.  The winning design will be used on the Department’s newsletter, web page, social media sites, and posters.  At present, we do not have a logo.

All logo entries, which can be submitted in hardcopy or digital form, will be judged by a panel Geography faculty and students, graduate and undergraduate.  The winning entry will receive $40 in cash (thanks to an anonymous donor) and be recognized at an upcoming colloquium talk.  Please note that the winning artist will be asked to work with expert cartographer Will Fontanez in order to fine tune the design and make the logo consistent with the University of Tennessee rules for brand development.

All entries should be submitted no later than October 4, 2014 to me ([log in to unmask]).  Don’t be bashful.

This is your chance to leave your mark (literally and figuratively) on UT Geography.

Best wishes,

Derek

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Professor & Head