Dear Geographers:

As you know, the Department has been working to get BGB 204 (the room famously known as the gravel pit) ready to be used for storage.  As a result of the fume problem that we experienced a couple of weeks ago, I asked Facilities Services to suspend work on the room and strongly urged them to put some things in place to keep us from having a repeat of the problem.

I spoke with Facilities Services this morning and here is the plan.  They will finish the painting and sealing of the 204 floor this weekend, beginning Friday night (9/13) and working until Sunday morning (9/15).   Facilities has found a low VOC water-based sealer to finish the floor and the workers will be employing a special ventilation system since the room is such a confined space.  While I expect that the fume problem will be less serious this weekend, I do encourage everyone to use good judgment in deciding whether to visit and stay in the building.  I will come to check on things on Saturday to check and will alert the Department to any problems I encounter.  Please know how much I appreciate your patience in this matter.

Finally, at my request, Facilities Services has provided me the safety data sheets for the sealer used in room 204 in late August.  For the purposes of full transparency, I am happy to send that information to anyone who requests it.  Simply send me an email and I will respond.  I want to thank Kevin Durand for giving me some guidance on making a request for this information.

Thank you four time,

Derek

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Professor & Head