The Graduate School of Library and Information Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (GSLIS) welcomes Tonyia Tidline (PhD ’03) as the new director of professional development. Tidline will begin work in her new position on August 16.

In this role, Tidline will coordinate the robust continuing professional development program at GSLIS, which provides a variety of advanced learning opportunities in many areas of library and information science, services, and operations. In addition to day-to-day program management, she will implement new initiatives and provide support for the Midwest Book and Manuscript Studies program. She also will coordinate activities for the periods when all MS students, including LEEP students, are on campus.

In addition to her PhD from GSLIS, Tidline received bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Ohio State University as well as a master of library and information science degree from Kent State University.

Tidline returns to GSLIS from Dominican University, where she worked as an associate professor at Dominican’s Graduate School of Library and Information Science and was the founding director of the school’s PhD program, which she led for four years. Previously, she taught as an assistant professor for five years at the University of Alabama’s School of Library and Information Studies.

“I’m thrilled to be coming back to GSLIS and working on professional development,” said Tidline. “I hope to be doing some innovative things there, as well as touching base with people who were there when I was [a doctoral student] and meeting new and wonderful people who are there now.”

--
Kim Schmidt
Director of Publications and Media Relations