Dear Colleagues,

Let me start by saying that I am an adjuncts, I have a PhD, I love to teach,
and I feel very highly valued by my department, Information and Library
Science in the School of Informatics and Computer Science, at Indiana
University.

This is an interesting conversation because it reflects many different
perspectives. One perspective that I haven't seen is that enrollments swell
when the economy is poor and adjuncts are needed for extra sections of
requirements as well as to offer additional classes to reflect demand. Once
the economy improves, enrollment drops and adjuncts are not needed again. I
tell my students that I know when I've been fired because my name does not
show up on the list of courses being taught. Fortunately, we have a
department chair who is very good about communicating with adjuncts, so that
last sentence is hyperbole. However, I am a temp worker who is called in for
occasional overflow work.

There is another perspective that is also missing and that is knowledge
transfer between tenure track faculty, administrators, and adjuncts. When
adjuncts teach during autumn and spring semesters during the day, there are
many opportunities for conversation about courses, students, the school, and
real life. When adjuncts teach at other times, those opportunities do not
exist. During good economic times, the interactions between adjuncts and TT
faculty obviously goes down.

The real world work an adjuncts performs outside of class includes a lot of
business skills that tenure track faculty may not have had the opportunity
to garner. In addition, adjuncts must deal with information from very
different perspectives than that of TT faculty. Library and Information
Science teaches unerringly about the objects that hold information:
documents, as memory devices. What adjuncts learn is that for our patrons
and clients documents are tools that may even have their own agency. Those
concepts of documents as tools and having agency, are not just foreign to
library science, information science, and even archival science. Those
concepts are alien because they require a much larger perspective on how
those tools are used in culture than LIS teaches. Those concepts also
require a much greater skill set to manage and deliver the tools than LIS
contemplates. My work as a records management consultant requires me to
understand corporate culture and business processes in addition to many
different aspects of LIS, even when my client is a rare books library. Those
skill sets make adjuncts look unfocused in contrast to the research areas of
TT faculty. Those skill sets are embraced by other professional schools like
business, medical, and the law. LIS, not so much.

All that said, however, to have an accredited professional school means
dancing to the tune of the accrediting agency. I have heard law school deans
of top 10 law schools complain that law school education could be so much
more if it were not for accreditation. If those entities do not understand
or value how information and documents are actually used by humans, then the
schools will not reflect that knowledge, and the tenure track faculty will
neither explore nor teach it.

Best wishes,

Carol E.B. Choksy, PhD CRM PMP

CEO

IRAD Strategic Consulting, Inc.

Adjunct Lecturer

Department of Information and Library Science

Indiana University, Bloomington