Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 22:08:37 -0400
From: Catherine Closet <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], Ling H Jeng <[log in to unmask]>

Our intention was not "to assume the worst of all scenarios" but to take a
step back and critically look at the effects of the entrepreneurial approach
in LIS education. We believe that the time has come to examine the possible
negative outcomes of this approach and we were motivated to start a
discussion because in the LIS literature there has been little evidence of
critical questioning of the effects of market driven educational
entrepreneurship in LIS education, on LIS students, educators, and
administrators.

The ALISE PTA Faculty SIG session's topic and a call for proposals to
participation in the panel session have been advertized through jESSE and
various other listservs. We invited LIS educators, administrators, and
doctoral students interested in participating in a panel discussion to
submit a proposal demonstrating interest in participating on a panel
facilitated by an ALISE Part-Time & Adjunct SIG member.

Although we are genuinely interested in including the point of view of
everyone, no administrator has to this day manifested interest in
participating in our panel. It is not too late for interested administrators
to submit a 500 word abstract/essay stating their critical perspective on
the topic they are interested in discussing.  Additional submissions will be
accepted until Sept. 30 on EasyChair:
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=2014parttimeadjuncts  ++ you
will need to create an account and log-in. Select New Submission then Submit
the required information and essay.

Below is a copy of the text of our 2nd call for contribution/participation
submitted to jESSE earlier in the summer. Further details and updates can
also be obtained on the SIG website
http://alisepart-timeadjunctsfacultysig.weebly.com/index.html

Thank you for voicing your interest in seeing discussed other issues
pertinent to the context surrounding PTA's work as LIS educators. Perhaps an
ALISE roundtable discussion bringing together program directors and
administrators with part-time and adjunct faculty would be a better venue to
address your concerns. As the PTA Faculty SIG convener I would be extremely
happy to collaborate to the planning of such an event which would benefit
LIS part-time and adjunct faculty and LIS education as a whole.

C. Closet-Crane, PhD. MLS
Convener ALISE PTA Faculty SIG
________________________++++++++++++++++__________________________
ALISE 2014, Philadelphia, PA.
Part-Time and Adjuncts Special Interest Group
Conference Theme: Educational Entrepreneurship
Proposed Session Theme: Casualties and Collateral Damages: A Critical Look
at Educational Entrepreneurship.

2nd Call for Participation-- DEADLINE: June 24, 2013

In keeping with the 2014 ALISE conference theme, the Part-Time and Adjuncts
SIG invites submissions for participation in a 4 person panel program that
will examine the unintended consequences of educational entrepreneurship in
LIS.

This session offers an opportunity to take a critical look at the effects of
the entrepreneurial approach in LIS education ?in particular the possible
negative outcomes of the introduction of alternatives to traditional
education described as aiming to "improve the productivity, quality, and
equity of American education" (Levin, 2006. [?Why is educational
entrepreneurship so difficult?? Retrieved from
http://pocketknowledge.tc.columbia.edu/home.php/viewfile/download/54148/Why_is_educational_entrepreneurship_so_difficult.pdf]).

This call is open to all educators and administrators in the field of
library and information science.
Please submit a PDF document including your name, affiliation, contact
information, title of your proposal/ topic you are interested in discussing,
and a 500 word abstract/essay stating your critical perspective on the topic
you are interested in discussing.
Submission must be made by June 24, 2013, to EasyChair
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=2014parttimeadjuncts  (create an
account and log-in. Select New Submission then Submit).
For more information visit
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ALISEadjunct/message/209
Or contact Catherine Closet-Crane [log in to unmask]