@COE for the week of August 30, 2013

Having trouble viewing this e-mail? View it in your browser.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

[log in to unmask]" alt="@COE newsletter of the UT College of Engineering" width="600" height="205" border="0" style="display:block">

175th Year of Engineering
175 Years of Engineering

For the week of August 30, 2013

@COE is published on a weekly basis. Please send submissions to Randall Brown in the Engineering Communications Office at [log in to unmask] by noon on the Thursdays before distribution.

Rupy Sawhney
Dr. Rupy Sawhney
Chanaka Edirisinghe
Dr. Chanaka Edirisinghe

Gift establishes UT joint faculty fellowships in business and engineering

A major gift from University of Tennessee, Knoxville, graduates Ralph and Janet Heath has established the first-ever joint faculty positions between the colleges of Engineering and Business Administration. The Heath Endowed Faculty Fellowship in business and engineering has the goal of enhancing the relationship between the two fields.

Dr. Rupy Sawhney, a professor in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, is the fellow in the College of Engineering. Dr. Chanaka Edirisinghe, professor of statistics, operations, and management science, is the Heath Faculty Fellow in the College of Business Administration.

This gift answers Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek's challenge to private supporters to help recruit and retain UT's most talented faculty.
Read more >>

OUTREACH NEWS

COE study-abroad program sees record year

2013 Study AbroadThis past summer forty College of Engineering students took UT engineering courses as part of four faculty-led programs. The faculty–led programs are designed to combine technical courses with international experiences in a way that provides course credit while minimizing schedule concerns for engineering students.

The 2013 program included these trips:

  1. Engineering In London
  2. Water Resources and Climate Change in the European Alps
  3. Sustainable Energy Engineering in Dublin, Ireland (new for 2013)

Also new for 2013 was a trip to Prague, Czech Republic, sponsored by the Department of Nuclear Engineering and led by department head Dr. Wes Hines, Head of the Nuclear.
Read more in Dr. Roger Parson's report >>
Read students' stories from their summer trips >>
View Dr. Michael Berry's video montage >>

EVENTS

Engineers Day scheduled for October 24

Engineers Day has been a UT College of Engineering tradition for more than 100 years. Each October, undergraduate engineering classes are dismissed for one day to allow university students and faculty to spend time interacting with hundreds of potential engineering students from high schools across the region.

In 2012, close to 1,200 students from fifty-five different high schools (and some home schoolers) traveled to UT’s Knoxville campus to explore and learn about the various aspects of engineering through discussions, project demonstrations and exhibits prepared by UT engineering student clubs and societies.  Participants experienced an overview of the different engineering disciplines and saw examples of how an engineer’s work impacts daily life.  It is our goal that students involved in Engineers Day will be inspired by the ever-growing field of engineering.

Engineers Day features five competitions for visiting students. Results for the 2012 Quiz Bowl, Egg Drop Competition, ASCE High School Balsa Wood Bridge Competition, Food Battery Competition and Radiation Shielding Competition can be found at http://www.engr.utk.edu/ed/competitions.html

If you would like more information on this event, please contact the Engineering Academic & Student Affairs office at (865) 974-2454.

STUDENT OPPORTUNITIES

College of Law to host admissions workshop September 4

Potential law school applicants in East Tennessee are invited to attend a Law School Admission Workshop and Recruitment Fair on September 4 at the UT College of Law. The workshop is free and no preregistration is necessary.

    Scheduled activities include the following:
  • Admission Workshop, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Carolyn P. Brown Memorial University Center, Shiloh Room
  • Q & A with Admissions Officers, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., University Center, Shiloh Room
  • Recruitment Fair, 2:00 to 4:00 p.m., College of Law Commons and Rotunda

Potential law school applicants in East Tennessee are invited to attend a Law School Admission Workshop and Recruitment Fair on September 4 at the UT College of Law. The workshop is free and no preregistration is necessary. For more information, call the College of Law Admissions Office at 865-974-4131.
Read more >>

IEEE interest meeting will be September 5

The IEEE Student Branch will have an interest meeting at 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, September 5, in Room 217 of the Min H. Kao Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Building. Free food will be provided. Topics will include a calendar of events and information about the competitive robotics and software teams that we support.

IEEE is a technical student community designed to help and promote students' professional development. The goal of our organization is to prepare engineering students to be successfully academically and professionally, all while having fun with fellow students.
Read more >>

Call for Nominations: Courage to Climb Award

The Division of Student Life continues its commitment to celebrating and supporting our outstanding University of Tennessee students through the Courage to Climb award. The award seeks to recognize students who show promise in the areas of:

  • Campus Involvement
  • Community service
  • Leadership development
  • Promotion of civility and inclusion, and/or
  • Research

Based on the nominations received, the Courage to Climb committee will recognize one student per month beginning October 2013. Each student will be featured on the Division of Student Life website and will be invited to an end of year recognition event with the Vice Chancellor for Student Life.

Please visit http://studentlife.utk.edu/couragetoclimb_application.php to submit your nomination(s) by Tuesday, October 1, 2013. You will also find a list of the 2012–2013 Award winners at http://studentlife.utk.edu/couragetoclimb_archives.php. If you have questions or concerns about this process or award, please contact Melissa Shivers, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Life & Strategic Initiatives at [log in to unmask]

Engineering Professional Practice

Stay up-to-date with Engineering Professional Practice information and events by clicking the “Like” button on the program’s Facebook page, following the program on Twitter, visiting its website at www.coop.utk.edu, or calling 865-974-5323.

Engineering Professional Practice Info Sessions:

  • 5:00-6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept 3
    307 SERF
  • 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept 5
    307 SERF

Attend either session to learn about co-op and internship opportunities for engineering students and how to get started with the co-op program!

Students, please note: If you receive a co-op or internship offer, please contact Engineering Professional Practice for help with paperwork and any preparations you may need – [log in to unmask], 865-974-5323, or 310 Perkins Hall.

Featured co-op student: Rebekah Patton

Rebekah PattonOur student this week is Rebekah Patton, shown at right, a chemical engineering major who accepted a co-op at The Dow Chemical Company located in Bristol, Pennsylvania.

Patton describes the department she worked in and what her main responsibilities were.

"I worked on the ZSK-58 pilot plant in Bristol, Pennsylvania, which is part of the Coatings Process Technology Center (CPTC)," said Patton. "The CPTC provides technical expertise and scale-up information to full-size production plants around the globe. My work group completed scale-up work for mechanical dispersions on the ZSK-58, which is a twin screw extruder with a 58 mm diameter. My main project involved equipping the ZSK-58 to run a new product line. The product’s unique chemistry allows for increased metal adhesion properties and water resistance. Experimental work for the product had already been completed at core R&D, and it needed to be scaled up to meet the demand predicted by our business.

"To prepare for scale-up trials, I oversaw in the modeling work for the product, the renewal of our environmental permits to account for the new emissions, the instillation of additional needed equipment, the completion of the Management of Change (MOC) process, the order of new required materials, and the drafting of the product trial plan. I was allowed to set my own timelines for the work and gained important project management skills along the way.
In my spare time, I completed computer-coding work in Microsoft Excel and the Siemens' digital control system to allow for run data to be exported from the control system to Excel and JMP for analysis. The analyses were used to optimize run conditions and to provide a summary of production conditions to our customers. I also participated in scale-up runs for multiple other products to gain a full understanding of the mechanical dispersions technology."

Patton felt that the co-op assignment made her a more well-rounded engineer.

"I have been given the opportunity to gain leadership skills in the plant and to learn how to interface with personnel at every level from operations to global leadership," she said. "Without the interpersonal skills that I have gained from my co-op terms, my technical skills would be useless. Knowing how to convey my technical knowledge with appropriate complexity has been extremely beneficial. ”

Students may read more about their peers' co-op experiences by logging into their Engineering Professional Practice profile via www.coop.utk.edu, clicking “Resource Library” (on the left margin) and selecting “Students at Work–In Their Own Words.” For information on engineering co-op and internships, contact [log in to unmask] or 865-974-5323.

VolsTeach

What else can you do with your major? You can now receive your degree and a secondary education teaching license with VolsTeach. The VolsTeach program is available to Math and Science majors who wish to expand their career options by earning a secondary education teaching license. Given the current economy VolsTeach offers one degree with two career paths which will make you more competitive in the future job market.

    VolsTeach provides:
  • early and frequent field experiences
  • personal guidance by Master Teachers and program advisors
  • the opportunity to have paid exclusive internships during regular and summer terms
  • a comfortable learning environment that will further enhance your professional skill set

VolsTeachThis is your opportunity to be a part of the program. VolsTeach is open to freshmen, sophomores and juniors who are ready to start a journey that will give them a chance to connect with the community. Become a part of this exciting venture by signing up for the Fall Step 1 course now.

Click on the flier to the right for registration information.

For more information contact VolsTeach Coach, Jada Johnson at [log in to unmask] or visit the program's Facebook page, VolsTeach, for current events, and the program's website, http://volsteach.utk.edu.

Career Services

Career Services News

Part-time Job Fair

Career Services Fall 2013 Office Drop-in Hours on the Hill

Starting September 4 until the end of the semester (while classes are in session), Career Services Consultant-April Gonzalez will have office hours in the Tickle Building, third floor in the office across from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering on Wednesdays from 2:00-4:00 p.m. and Fridays from 1:00-3:00 p.m.

Students do not need an appointment to meet with April during these times and will be served on a first come first serve basis.  Stop by today to have your resume critiqued, talk about your job search, interviewing skills and more!

“KICK-OFF TO ENGINEERING CAREER SUCCESS WEEK”
September 16-19
11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Monday, September 16
Career Carnival

Ferris/Perkins Courtyard
Free Popcorn, Hot Dogs & Soda (while it lasts). Meet with DENSO, MAHLE, Inc., and Eaton Corporation representatives to find out about their fall recruiting activities, COE student organization showcase and giveaways.
Sponsored by:  DENSO/ Eaton/ MAHLE, Inc. /Career Services

10:30 a.m.—3:00 p.m. Tuesday, September 17
Just in Time Resume Critiques on the Hill
Outside SERF
Meet with Career Services, Alcoa, MS Technology representatives to have your resume critiqued in time for the Fall Job Fair on September 24 or the Engineering Expo on Oct. 10.
Sponsored by: Alcoa, Inc./MS Technology/Career Services

4:00-5:00 p.m. Wednesday, September 18
Tips and Tricks for Job Fair Success for Engineers
Career Services, 100 Dunford Hall
Presented by Career Services staff. Learn about how to make a favorable impression at the fall job fairs.

6:00-8:00 p.m. Thursday, September 19
Speed Networking Session
University Center Ballroom
Participate in a speed networking event with employer reps. to practice your elevator speech in preparation for the Job Fair on September 24!

Employer representatives include: ORNL, B&W Y-12, DENSO, Eaton, CGI, Johnson Service Group, Trane Corporation, Mesa Technology and more!
This event has limited seating. Students must register via HIRE-A-VOL at www.career.utk.edu to participate.

For more information, contact April Gonzalez , Career Services Consultant, College of Engineering at [log in to unmask] or 865-974-5435.

Check out www.career.utk.edu for a list of all upcoming events.

Multicultural Student LifeThe Office of Multicultural Student Life offers these academic services. For information, call 865-974-6861.

Free Tutoring in Math, Chemistry, Biology, and Spanish: 7:00-10:00 p.m. Mondays & Wednesdays in the Clement Hall basement.

Free Tutoring in Math, English, Engineering, Accounting, French, Chemistry, Biology, and more: Appointment and walk-in tutoring available for all students.

Late-Night Study Session (tutoring available): 8:00 a.m.-midnight Wednesday, December 4, and Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013, at the Black Cultural Center. Games, crafts, stress relief activities. Snacks both days 3:00-10:00 p.m.

Vols Success Seminars: During the Fall semester, in collaboration with the Student Success Center and other campus departments, Vols Success Seminars will be offered to all UT students. This series of workshops is designed to equip all students with the knowledge and resources to be successful, inside and outside of the classroom at the UT. Students can register in advance for each workshop at multicultural.utk.edu or studentsuccess.utk.edu. View the Vols Success Seminars Fall 2013 calendar >>

CONTACT US
Office of Engineering Communications
207 Perkins Hall | Knoxville, TN 37996-0184
E-mail: Send submissions for @COE to Randall Brown, [log in to unmask]
Phone: 865-974-0533 | Fax: 865-946-2560
Big Orange. Big Ideas.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= To view the CAMPCOMM archives or Join/Leave the list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/campcomm.html