Hello Grad Students!

It is always astounding just how quickly the summer seems to pass! Our annual SSSP conference is just around the corner.  We would just like to take a moment to remind you of a few of the opportunities that SSSP offers to its graduate students. We strongly encourage you to attend everything you can.

1) The new member’s breakfast will be held on Friday August 9th from 7:15am-8:15am in the third floor Broadway Ballroom (Westin New York at Times Square). I know   it is early but the food and opportunities to mix and mingle with fellow SSSP members makes it very worthwhile indeed!

2) This is immediately followed by the Graduate Student Meeting (August 9 from 8:30am–10:10am in Plymouth), which will give all graduate student members a voice and space to be heard and taken seriously. We hope that all graduate student members will take advantage of this time and join us.

3) The graduate student social is another space to connect with fellow graduate student members. The Graduate Student Happy Hour is scheduled on August 9 from 10:30pm–11:30pm at the Latitude Bar & Grill, 783 8th Avenue between 47th & 48th.  SSSP has generously provided us with $750 towards the cost of appetizers and drinks.

4) In addition to these ‘grad student’ specific events, you may also consider attending any number of the receptions (e.g. Division Sponsored, Past Presidents Reception) where there will also be food and drink available.

5) There are additional networking opportunities in the welcoming reception and the division-sponsored reception so be sure to keep your eyes open for dates and times. Please consult the online program for additional details and locations.

We are very excited about this year’s conference and hope that we have a chance to meet all of you. We really can’t stress enough the value of participation. Should you be seeking a way to become more involved within SSSP or simply wish to be present and listen to the goings on of student life within the conference, we encourage you to come! SSSP takes the voice of its graduate student body very seriously and so this is a fantastic opportunity to make sure that yours is heard. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any reason!!

All the best!! See you in New York.

Sarah Hendricks Patrick O’Brien
[log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]