Dear Geographers,

I hope everyone is having a great summer.  I'm pleased to announce a lecture and workshop next week by Dr. David Porinchu of the University of Georgia, who is visiting our department and our Initiative for Quaternary Paleoclimate Research with funding from an SEC travel grant.

Dave will be at UT for the week working with me on some proposal ideas, but he is also keen to meet you and to share his expertise, through a lecture and a workshop.  The workshop will be hands-on, starting with lake mud and ending with microscope slides of insect parts (specifically, head capsules of midges) and how we can identify and use them in paleoclimate research.  Believe it or not, these little critters give us great clues on past climate, because they are very picky about the environments in which they live.

Please plan to join us for one or both events, and pass the word!

Sincerely,

Sally

Sally P. Horn, Professor
Department of Geography