The ALISE Distance Education SIG calls Pecha Kucha-style presentation proposals to be a part of the SIG’s  conference program at the annual ALISE conference (January 21-24 2014 in Philadelphia). The program is tentatively entitled, Beyond traditional online education: Using all of the tools in the social media toolbox. 6-8 presentation proposals will be accepted.

 In keeping with the 2014 ALISE Conference Theme, "Educational Entrepreneurship” and extending the topic of one of the presentations from last year, Beyond the Walled Garden: Distance LIS Education in an Era of Participatory Culture, by Michael Stephens and Kyle Jones, the Distance Education SIG invites proposals for Pecha Kucha style (20 slides for 20 seconds each) presentations that demonstrate your use of some tool beyond our usual learning management systems or ones that push the boundaries within our learning management systems. We would like you to demonstrate the tool, how you use it, and with what classes. Especially desirable are presentations that show research into the effectiveness of the technique with distance education students.

 Examples of potential topics:

·         Using Voicethread as a discussion forum.

·         Facebook or LinkedIn groups as places for class interaction.

·         Innovative tools for class sharing of group projects.

·         Managing grading and other issues when using tools outside an LMS.

 Please submit a 300 word description of your presentation that includes the name of the tool, how it is used, in what context, and the student engagement with the tool by July 12, 2013.

Submit by email to: Nora Bird, [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your interest in the Distance Education SIG. We look forward to your proposals.

 Nora Bird and Suellen Adams, SIG co-conveners 2013-14

--

Nora J. Bird, PhD
Assistant Professor