Dear Colleagues,

Attending ALA 2013 in Chicago?

I am working with David White of Oxford University, Dr. Donna Lanclos of
University of North Carolina, Charlotte, JISC, and Erin M. Hood of OCLC
on the project, "Digital Visitors and Residents (V&R): What Motivates
Engagement with the Digital Information Environment?", to identify what
motivates learners' engagement with the digital information environment.
This project is one of several at OCLC Research being conducted as part
of the User Behavior Studies & Synthesis activity to better serve
library users' needs now and in the future
(http://www.oclc.org/research/activities.html).

The V&R project proposes a new way of understanding students' engagement
with technology, and offers a balanced alternative to the "digital
natives"

metaphor. When in Visitor mode, people treat the web as a series of
tools. They decide what they want to achieve, choose an appropriate
online tool to do the job, then log-off. They leave no social trace of
themselves online. When in Resident mode, people live a portion of their
lives online, and approach the web as a place where they can express
themselves and spend time with people.

When acting as a Resident, people will have a profile on a social
networking platform, and aspects of their digital identity maintain a
presence even when they are not online.

The premise of V&R is presented as a continuum whereby individuals'
modes of engagement will be more Visitor or Resident depending on their
personal motivations and their context. By identifying learners' habits
in this way, we hope that our findings will allow schools and
universities to respond more effectively to the challenges of learning
through technology. We also anticipate that the study will provide
insights into the different ways in which people engage with and respond
to technology.

There are several phases of the project and we currently are conducting
a series of participatory design sessions with a variety of stakeholders
within academic libraries and the higher education information
technology sector, to inform the development of a V&R toolkit, which.
This self-paced toolkit will focus on learning about patron modes of
behavior, and using such knowledge to build more effective, engaging
service configurations in digital and physical library spaces. The
proposed toolkit will be disseminated widely to the global library
community and focused on educating and training library and IT staff.

It will provide structure for the creation and configuration of services
that integrate the V&R paradigm.

During ALA 2013, we are convening 2 participatory design sessions with
different groups of librarians and library IT staff to produce data,
case-studies, narratives, and best practices. We plan to use the
information that we gather to develop the library toolkit.

If you are attending ALA 2013 and are interested in learning how
individuals engage with technology and would like to participate in the
participatory design session please sign up here -
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1nWc0EieHxqhvS6L3Zwpl-NoKnIF_iHi9Pk-obVP
39Bg/viewform.

To facilitate scheduling we are asking you to choose all of the dates
that work for you. However, we only will schedule you to participate in
one of the 2 participatory design sessions during ALA 2013. Refreshments
will be provided as well as an incentive of $30.

If you have questions about this research, please feel free to contact
me by email ([log in to unmask]).

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Lynn

Lynn Silipigni Connaway, Ph.D.

Senior Research Scientist