Greetings,
   I've been poking around web sites for LIS programs internationally this
evening, and I was struck by their inconsistencies.
   Some offered complete program descriptions.  Others offered labels but
no specifics.  Some said what country they were in.  Others offered no
clue as to what US state they were in. Some offered syllabi, others did
not.  Some offered IT requirements, others did not.
   Tom Wilson's inventory of LIS programs seems to have disappeared. The
ALISE list of paying customers offers a limited view of academic programs.
The iSchools collectively offer a different approach to IS education, but
offer few details.

But I wonder if individual programs can take up the slack. And be more
specific about what they offer.

   Can individual schools within this discussion group agree to what data
elements should be included in a description of what an LIS school offers,
and is included on their web pages?

   Here's a start:

   The name of the School
   The University with which it is associated
   The name of the country in which it is located
   The minimal requirements for a professional degree in its country
   The minimal requirements for a less professional degree
   The required courses for a professional degree

   The percent of the degree which can be accomplished entirely on line.

   Is this a good thing?

   Is tis enough of a discussion?  Talk to me.

   --gw

Gretchen Whitney, PhD, Retired
School of Information Sciences
University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN 37996 USA           [log in to unmask]
http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/
jESSE:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/jesse.html
SIGMETRICS:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html