Club Geographers,

See the info below regarding a summer documentary institute in NY focusing on urban culture. I received this via the Global Studies listserv, but it appears to be open to everyone. Three weeks in NYC sound good!

Ron Kalafsky

From: Handelsman, Michael H
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 10:13 AM
Subject: summer opportunity in NYC

Dear Students,
Here is an interesting opportunity for this summer.  The announcement has been sent to us by one of our Global Studies alums who works for an arts and culture non-profit in New York.  Best, MH

I'm contacting you because we are hosting an intensive documentary institute this summer within the realm of urban culture (the many societies and cultures of NYC). It would be a great opportunity for current Global Studies students and I would love it if you could pass it around to them.

The Institute is a three week intensive that is base out of NYC. Each student will learn basic technical skills in one of three tracks, photography, film, or radio, and will then learn the fundamentals of documenting cultures, spending two weeks creating a project which will be exhibited at the culminating exhibition on August 30th in NYC. Each track will be taught by renowned veterans within those three fields, for example, Rob Rosenthal of the SALT Institute and the Transom Story Workshop will be spearheading the Radio track and Michael Kamber, an award-winning photojournalist and founder of the Bronx Documentary Center, will be leading the Photography track. The instruction will also be supplemented by guest speakers and lecturers, such as Amy Toensing of National Geographic, Dave Isay of StoryCorps, and Benh Zeitlin of Beasts of the Southern Wild.

I'm attaching a flyer for the Institute, which also contains a link to our website. If you think this sounds like something that would interest your students I would greatly appreciate it if you could pass it along. Please let me know if you have any questions. Also, feel free to check out our website to learn more about what we do (citylore.org & http://citylore.org/urban-culture/city-lore-documentary-institute/)