Events April 11, 12 and 17!

Baker Center Energy and Environment Forum on April 11, 3:30 - 5 pm at MIN
KAO ENGINEERING BLDG!!!!!!!!!!!!
Baker Scholars Research Symposium on April 12
April 17 -- "Taxes, Green Vehicles and the Death of Tennessee Transportation."

See below for details.  Free and open to the public.

Join us for the next Baker Center Energy and Environmental Forum, which will
take place on Thursday, April 11 at 3.30 pm in Min Kao 404 (not Toyota
Auditorium in Baker Center due to scheduling conflict).

Paulina Oliva, Assistant Professor of Economics at University of California,
Santa Barbara will give a 45 minute presentation and then lead a discussion
with participants. Her talk is titled: “Does the Effect of Pollution on Infant
Mortality Differ Between Developing and Developed Countries?  Evidence from
Mexico City”

Abstract: Much of what we know about the marginal effect of pollution on
infant mortality is derived from developed country data. However, given the
lower levels of air pollution in developed countries, these estimates may not be
externally valid to the developing country context if there is a nonlinear dose
relationship between pollution and mortality or if the costs of avoidance
behavior differs considerably between the two contexts. In this paper, we
estimate the relationship between pollution and infant mortality using data from
Mexico. We find that an increase of 1 parts per billion in carbon monoxide (CO)
over the last week results in 0.0032 deaths per 100,000 births, while a 1 µg/m3
increase in particulate matter (PM10) results in 0.24 infant deaths per 100,000
births. Our estimates for PM10 tend to be similar (or even smaller) than the
U.S. estimates, while our findings on CO tend to be larger than those derived
from the U.S. context. We provide suggestive evidence that a non-linearity in
the relationship between CO and health explains this difference.

NOTE: Forum will be held in Min Kao, the recently constructed Electrical
Engineering and Computer Science Building on the Northeast corner of campus.
================================

April 12 - 1-3 pm Toyota Auditorium
Graduating Baker Scholars will present their final research and others will
provide updates on their research progress.   Please join us in the Toyota and
be prepared to be impressed!

==============================

April 17 - 6-7:30 pm  "Taxes, Green Vehicles and the Death of Tennessee
Transportation" - Toyota Auditorium
Two Baker Scholars, Eric Dixon and Caleb Williford, will moderate this panel to
discuss TN roads.
Kevin Bakewell - AAA
Mark Burton - UT Transportation Research Center
Mike Edwards - Knoxville Chamber of Commerce
John Schroer - TDOT Commissioner
Kent Starwalt - TN Road Builders
Dave Huneryager - TN Trucking Assoc.
Matt Murray - UT Baker Center and Center Business & Economic Research