Please do not reply to this message. Thank You. To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html

From: UT Gardens [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of UT Gardens [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 9:42 AM
To: Tennessee Master Gardener
Subject: UT Gardens- Mar. e-newsletter

Knoxville Gardens
Jackson Gardens
 Like us on Facebook Find us on Pinterest Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

back2top

Plant of the Month
Gardening Tips
Now Showing
Knoxville Trials and Volunteers
Education in the Gardens
Friends Membership Report

National Plant News
Gardens of Britain
Garden Events

POM by James Newburn, assistant director, UT Gardens, Knoxville

Our plant of the month for March is actually appealing all year long. That is because

Eucalyptus neglecta, commonly called Omeo Gum, is an evergreen that maintains its foliage year-round. It also has the familiar blue-green eucalyptus foliage with round- to oval-shaped leaves and the delightful, distinctive fragrance. These features make it ideal not only as a specimen tree but also as a source for cut branches that can be dried and used in arrangements.

Native mainly to Australia, many of the eucalyptus species do not tolerate frost, much less a freeze. Eucalyptus neglecta, however,is a hardier species and advertised as being winter hardy to zone 7. The specimen in the UT Gardens, Knoxville, which is in zone 6b, has been in the ground for six years and is thriving. It has reached a height of 16 feet in that short time and is considered a fast-growing plant. It does well in full sun but will tolerate partial shade.

Read more.

nowshow
Forsythia viridissima
'McKcitrine' - Citrus Swizzle Forsythia

A dwarf variegated form of forsythia that has soft lemon-yellow blooms. Once flowers are gone the variegated foliage adds interest to the landscape. Only grows about 24" tall. Great when planted in mass or on a bank or border. Seen right at the entrance of the Knoxville Garden.

gardentip

March 2013

March is a good time to shop for and add lungwort (Pulmonaria) and Lenten rose (Helleborus) to your garden. Lungworts are early flowering shade perennials that often struggle in the heat and humidity of our Tennessee climate, so be aware that Pulmonaria longifolia and its cultivars and hybrids are much more durable. Good selections are 'Roy Davidson,' 'E. B. Anderson,' 'Trevi Fountain' and my favorite for its vigor and heat tolerance, 'Diana Claire.'

trials

Knoxville Volunteers

The Volunteer Appreciation and Kickoff Luncheon was held on Monday, Feb. 25 at the UT Visitors Center. Sixty-six people, a mix of veteran and new volunteers, were in attendance as we celebrated the 1,740 hours that were contributed by Gardens volunteers in 2012. These hours represent a value of $37,925 to the UT Gardens. Upcoming Gardens' projects and events were discussed, including plans for our upcoming 30th Anniversary Gala. Finally, we were thrilled to honor longtime volunteer Lucy Scanlon as the first recipient of our new Distinguished Volunteer Service Award.

Don't worry if you are interested in joining our volunteer program but weren't at the kickoff event. Plenty of opportunities remain to help out with upcoming special events such as Eggstravaganza, our spring plant sale, Blooms Days or children's programming. In addition, our weekly volunteer sessions (Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9 a.m. to noon) have now resumed for the year. Contact Beth Willis at 865-974-2712 or [log in to unmask]  for more information.

The following donors joined or renewed their membership during the month of January 2013.

Benefactor Friends ($1,000 +)

Dr. Mary Albrecht

Dr. Joseph and Deborah DiPietro

Patron Friends ($500 - $999)

Michael and Sallie Ehrhardt

Dr. Susan Lynne Hamilton

James A. Haslam, II

Carol and Jeff Stratton

Contributor Friends ($100 - $249)

John and Sandra Butler

Dr. Jefferson and Veronica Chapman

Hugh Conlon

Brenda and Jerry Davis

Janice Hixson (in memory of Maria Compere)

C. Rae Hozer

Cynthia Klassen

Bob and Marnie Page

Edward and Corinne Patrick

Louisa Trott Reeves

Family Friends ($50 - $99)

Peggy and Brad Chappell

Joan Falsone

Dr. Kent and Susan Farris

Carole Hartung-Schuster

Dr. Waring and Terri Hazlehurst

Dorothy Marshall

Dr. Neal and Jeanie Shover

Individual Friends ($35 - $49)

Cherie Adcock

Donna Yates Brown

Marilyn Brumund

Karen and Michael Chesney

Sandra Greear

Daniel and Carolyn Jean Kiser

Deborah Pittman

Nan Ramirez

Richard Raridon

Roger and Rebecca Smith

Margaret and Richard Tippens

Peter Vincent

Mary Lou Witherspoon

edingarden

Click here to find out more about the 2013 Garden Discovery Camps.

Garden Talks

Join the UT Gardens, Knoxville, on the second Sunday of each month from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. for a variety of garden talks. These talks are offered as a free benefit for members. Nonmembers also are encouraged to attend for a $5 fee.

Location: Meet at the Friendship Plaza at the UT Gardens, Knoxville.

March Garden Talk

Earlier Bloomers: A Tour of the First Flowers of the Season

March 10, 2-3:30 p.m.

Get out of the winter gloom and join us on a walk around the UT Gardens for a look at early blooming plants!For you rose enthusiasts, we will also provide a short tutorial on March rose pruning. So come on out, soak in the early spring sun, and brighten your Sunday with a few noted varieties of early flowering plants!

Click here to see the educational programs available beginning in February and running through spring 2013 at the UT Gardens, Knoxville. We have classes for gardeners of all ages. Preregistration is required. Be sure to contact Derrick Stowell, 865-974-7151 or [log in to unmask],to register for a class or workshop.

back to top

The UT Gardens, Knoxville, is one of the stops on the new Rocky Top Trail Driving Tour  put together by the Tennessee Department of Tourist Development's Discover Tennessee Trails and Byways program. The Gardens were selected as tourist stop 84.

Natplantnews

eventcal

egghunt
  Eggstravaganza 2013
Egg

March 23, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Cost: $6 per child (ages 12 and under)

Hop on over to the Gardens and get your picture with the Easter Bunny, make a spring craft, and go hunting for some eggs. This year we will have some fun prizes and more hunting times. Preregistration for a specific hunting time is required. Hunts will begin at 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., and 1:30p.m.

For more information visit http://utgardens.tennessee.edu/.

UT Gardens Spring Plant Sale

Saturday, April 6, 2013

9 a.m.-2 p.m.

UT Gardens, Knoxville Plaza

Get down to the Gardens and pick out a few cutting-edge plants for your yard. Members of the UT Gardens receive a 10% discount on purchases, so sign up for your membership before you go shopping!

Talahi Plant Sale 2013

Saturday, April 13, 2013

9 a.m.-2 p.m.

Lakeshore Park

The Knoxville Garden Club and Garden Study Club announce the 49th annual Talahi Plant Sale at Lakeshore Park on Saturday, April 13, from 9:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. Garden enthusiasts will be able to purchase hundreds of varieties of perennials, annuals, wildflowers and herbs as well as plants that were lovingly grown and nurtured in members' gardens. Proceeds from the sale benefit the UT Gardens and other local garden organizations.

For more information, visit http://knoxvillegardenclub.org or find the Talahi plant sale on Facebook.

Friday, May 3, 2013

6-9 p.m.

UT Gardens Friendship Plaza, Knoxville

Celebrate the UT Gardens' 30 years of growth and development at the inaugural UT Gardens Gala. Join the Gardens' staff and honorary chairs Sam and Mary Anne Beall for cocktails, dinner, and live and silent auctions. Proceeds benefit the Gardens' academic and educational programs and the expansion of the Beall Family Rose Garden, the Midsouth's largest public rose garden.

Tables and individual tickets must be purchased in advance. Sponsorship opportunities are available. Contact Derrick Stowell at 865-974-7151 or [log in to unmask] for more information.

Tables and individual tickets must be purchased in advance by visiting tiny.utk.edu/GalaRSVP.

bloomdays

Bloomsdays
May 11-12, 2013

Join us for the 11th annual Blooms Days. Take a walk through the UT Gardens at their peak of bloom, sit in on educational sessions, enjoy musical performances, sample some tasty food and shop for garden gifts from more than 30 local and regional vendors in our marketplace. In addition, join us Sunday for special Mother's Day activities.

$6/person per day, children 12 and under are free.

gardensbritan

Travel to England with Dr. Sue to tour breathtaking gardens, castles and private estates!
This tour features two-night stays throughout. Each overnight destination includes expertly planned day excursions, or city tours, with fabulous visits designed to showcase each region in depth. With this engaging, yet balanced itinerary, you will enjoy both modern and traditional hotels - from the contemporary Botley Park to the historic grand Victorian Marriott Hollins Hall, set in 200 acres of Brontė Country. Click here to learn more.

This publication contains pesticide recommendations that are subject to change at any time. The recommendations in this publication are provided only as a guide. It is always the pesticide applicator's responsibility, by law, to read and follow all current label directions for the specific pesticide being used. The label always takes precedence over the recommendations found in this publication.

Use of trade or brand names in this publication is for clarity and information; it does not imply approval of the product to the exclusion of others that may be of similar, suitable composition, nor does it guarantee or warrant the standard of the product. The author(s), the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture and University of Tennessee Extension assume no liability resulting from the use of these recommendations.

The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.

This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask] |
The University of Tennessee Gardens | Chapman Drive | Knoxville | TN | 37996
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Did your email address change? Visit http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html Remove your old email and add your new email address to continue receiving timely updates. Have you visited the Master Gardener Store? https://web.dii.utk.edu/agstore/c-49-master-gardener.aspx Check out the super comfortable Gardener's Kneeling Pads! To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html