Doc students,

This event will be of interest to people interested in the nexus of communication, information, policy and environment.  It also may be a natural complement to citizen science.  If you plan on going please let me know.  I am trying to change my schedule to be there but may not be able to make it. I would love to hear about it from whoever may end up going!

Suzie

From: Zygmunt Plater [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 10:03 AM
To: Wirth, Michael Otto
Subject: Thursday conference-UT Howard Baker Center--on journalism and environmental law

A Jeffersonian Challenge:

The Biggest Environmental Law Case in Twentieth-Century Tennessee

and Where Was the Press?

builds on the notorious little snail darter, the endangered fish that for a time halted TVA's Tellico Dam. My students at UT and I carried the case up through all three branches of government over six years, including the Cabinet-level God Committee that held that the citizens' river-based development for the project made better economic sense than the reservoir,  but the public never saw past the silly fish-big dam cliché.

Yale is publishing my book on the case in a few weeks, and a large part of the book is how citizens can work better with journalists to make sure basic information for governance gets through to the government and the American public.

 I attach a conference flyer, and a flyer for the book. It would be very good to have a contingent from your department with us on Thursday at the Baker Center at 3:30, and thereafter for a reception and panel across Cumberland Avenue at the College of Law.

Warm good wishes.

Zyg Plater

Zygmunt J.B. Plater
Professor of Law
Boston College Law School
885 Center Street
Newton Centre Massachusetts 02459
617-552-4387 Cell: 617-512-7326

** STAY TUNED FOR MY BOOK "THE SNAIL DARTER & THE DAM — HOW PORK-BARREL POLITICS ENDANGERED A LITTLE FISH AND KILLED A RIVER," COMING FROM YALE UNIVERSITY PRESS THIS SPRING **

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- To view the archives of the cci-facstaff or Join/Leave this list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/cci-facstaff.html