Think Spring!

Although it’s still chilly outside, we’re thinking springtime thoughts as GSLIS students, faculty, and staff pull together for the remainder of the semester. For the March InfoLink, we hear from GSLIS Interim Dean Maureen Sullivan about the future of LIS education and her leadership of ALA. Visit the InfoLink website page to download the full issue: http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/news/publications/infolink/index.php.

And in late-breaking news, we welcome Eileen G. Abels as GSLIS's new Dean: http://www.simmons.edu/overview/about/news/press/1175.php

Also in this issue:

* Meet Courtney Young ’97LS, head librarian and associate professor of women’s studies at Penn State

University, and candidate for ALA President.

* Cheryl Kohen ’06LS offers a variety of apps to help organize your life.

* Assistant Professor Mary Wilkins Jordan shares her research about how to train librarians in management and leadership skills to improve service to their communities.

* Introducing a New Lecture Series: “Change the Narrative, Not the Name.”

We’re pleased with the news that Simmons has moved up to 9th place in the U.S. News Top 10 Rankings, with the #1 position for Archives and Preservation, and was listed among the best nationally Services for Children and Youth, School Library Media, and Digital Librarianship. The full report can be found here. The rankings were released March 12 and will be featured in U.S. News & World Report's "Best Graduate Schools 2014" edition, available on April 9. Congratulations to the members of the GSLIS Community who have enhanced GSLIS with their hard work and dedication.

We are happy to welcome another member to our ranks: Peter Botticelli will join the GSLIS faculty this fall, will also oversee the Digital Stewardship Certificate Program here at GSLIS. Botticelli has a Ph.D. in History from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and an M.S.I. degree with a concentration in Archives and Records Management from the University of Michigan School of Information. His most recent position was at the University of Arizona School of Information Resources and Library Science, where he directed the School’s Digital Information Management (DigIn) graduate certificate program. Previously, he held research positions at Cornell University Library, the University of Michigan, and Harvard Business School. He has taught graduate courses on digital libraries, digital curation, scholarly communication, and digital preservation and has published research in history and archival studies.

For upcoming events, visit: http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/news/calendar/index.php.

For more GSLIS News click here: http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/news/news/index.php

If you have any questions or comments (including a request to be added to or removed from the distribution list) please do not hesitate to be in touch with us at [log in to unmask].

Best,
Kris Liberman LS '87
Continuing Education/Communications/Community

UPCOMING EVENTS

GSLIS West Alumni Reunion and Student Networking Reception

Saturday, April 20, 2013, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Willits-Hallowell Conference Center, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA

The 2011-2012 academic year was the 10th anniversary of the GSLIS West program in South Hadley, MA. The GSLIS Alumni Board and GSLIS West are hosting a reunion and networking reception for GSLIS West alumni, current GLSIS West students, and GSLIS West faculty in celebration of 10+ exciting and successful years. Watch this space for more information as the date nears.

GSLIS After Dark

Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Linda K. Paresky Conference Center

GSLIS Alumni: this is your final opportunity to register for GSLIS After Dark! The last day of registration is this Wednesday, March 20. Maureen Sullivan, the GSLIS Interim Dean, will speak, as will Artemis Kirk ’75LS, the winner of the 2013 Alumni Achievement Award. Click here to view the full pdf invitation: http://www.simmons.edu/enews/alumnet/harris/GSLIS_AfterDark2013_Invitation.pdf

--
Alisa M. Libby
Communications Assistant

For details about Alisa's young adult fiction, visit www.alisalibby.com