Will the talk be captured in any way for those of us outside of Chapel Hill?

From: Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Monroe, Wanda G.
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: "Across the Divide: On Interdisciplinary Collaboration between Information Science and Communication"

"Across the Divide: On Interdisciplinary Collaboration between Information Science and Communication" will be the topic of the eighth annual OCLC/Frederick G. Kilgour Lecture in Information and Library Science on March 25, 2013.

Deen Freelon, assistant professor of Public Communication at American University, Washington, D.C. will be the featured presenter at the lecture hosted by the School of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the Pleasants Family Room of the Wilson Library at 3 p.m. The lecture is free and open to the public. A reception will follow.

Abstract
Given that information and communication are inextricably bound together in everyday life, it is not surprising that the scholarly disciplines of information science and communication studies address many similar and complementary research topics. User-focused information science subfields such as human-computer interaction and social computing share common subject matter, and in some cases methods, with computer-mediated communication and new media studies. Unfortunately, collaborations between the two disciplines remain few and far between, both because of divergent conceptual approaches to research and incompatible professional imperatives. Against this backdrop, my talk has three goals: first, I will present a rationale for interdisciplinary collaboration designed to appeal to researchers in both information science and communication. In doing so I will compare the respective core principles of each tradition, highlighting regions of broad conceptual overlap. Second, drawing on my own work as well as that of others, I will offer several practical and generalizable suggestions for building high-impact interdisciplinary collaborations that fulfill the professional imperatives of both fields. In closing I will look to the future, identifying emerging research topics of interest that would especially benefit from such collaborations.

About Deen Freelon
Deen Freelon is assistant professor of Public Communication at American University, Washington, DC. His expertise is in extracting and analyzing online content, behavior, and outcomes related to political communication. Freelon has published in peer-reviewed journals including the Journal of Communication, New Media & Society, and Information, Communication & Society. He is also the creator of ReCal, an online intercoder reliability application that has been used by thousands of researchers around the world. He formerly served as a technology trainer, Web designer and multimedia consultant at Duke University.

Driving and Parking
The Wilson Library is located across from the bell tower on the central campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on South Road.

·         Campus Map

·         For parking and transportation
o Morehead Lot (At the Planetarium on Franklin St.)
o Rosemary Parking Deck (Behind the Post Office at Franklin and Henderson Streets)
o Chapel Hill city lots
o Highway 54 Visitor Lot (near the intersection of Country Club St. and South St.)
o Ramshead Parking Deck (at the G.W. Hill Alumni Center)
o Friday Center Park-and-Ride Lot (take the bus to and from campus)

·         For those who need handicap parking or access, please contact the SILS office at
919.962.8366

·

·         Wanda Monroe

Director of Communications

School of Information and Library Science

108 Manning Hall, CB#3360

Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3360

919.843.8337

sils.unc.edu