Dr. Kendra Albright and Dr. Karen Gavigan, researchers in the School of Library and Information Science at the University of South Carolina are featured in the New York Times Global Health section for their work with adolescents in the design of a graphic novel for AIDS awareness.  USC reporter Megan Sexton describes the project:  "The book, which includes facts about HIV and AIDS woven into the graphic novel format, is more than the work of a summer school project. It's a tool the USC researchers hope will go a long way toward improving understanding and stopping the spread of HIV among South Carolina's youth. South Carolina ranks eighth in the nation for new HIV cases, while Columbia ranks sixth nationally among metropolitan areas. Young black men make up the highest at-risk group in the state."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/health/graphic-novel-on-hiv-aids-is-aimed-at-southern-teenagers.html

http://www.wistv.com/story/21255914/teen-writers-pen-cautionary-tale-of-teen-faced-with-aids

We are proud to have such creative approaches to complex problems as part of our research agenda.

Dr. S. K. Hastings
Director and Professor
University of South Carolina
Davis College