Hello,

We have been asked to share this message about a survey for current and former library residents. Please see below.

Thanks and best regards,

Sandra

Sandra Annette Toro, Ph.D.

Senior Program Officer

Office of Library Services

Institute of Museum and Library Services

1800 M Street NW, 9th Floor

Washington, D.C. 20036-5802

Dear [Library Resident]:

The University of California, Santa Barbara Library is conducting a study of library residency programs in the United States. We are working with the University of California, Santa Barbara Social Science Survey Center to collect data about library resident experiences in order to develop a model residency program that primes new library school graduates for a career in the rapidly changing environment of libraries. We want to gather responses from both current and former library residents. We would like to ask you to take a moment to answer our survey questions at:

https://ask.survey.ucsb.edu/index.php/survey/index/sid/818627/lang/en

A library residency is defined as a temporary, entry-level position in a library that targets post-MLIS graduates as part of a diversity recruitment and/or new librarian mentorship program. Residencies are sometimes referred to as fellowships or internships.

We have a random drawing to thank you for participating. Prizes include one iPad mini and one Nexus 7. Each current and former resident who completes this survey is eligible to be entered into a drawing to receive one of the “Thank You” prizes. An estimated 1 in 75 respondents will receive a “Thank You” prize. All of your personal information will be recorded in a separate database and will be used only to deliver the prizes.

The survey will take approximately 30-45 minutes to complete. Should you need time to track down information for particular survey questions, you have the ability to save your progress and return to the survey at a later time.

This survey is an environmental scan of residency programs to determine how different programs operate. Data reported will be in the aggregate and will not be attributed to you or your individual institution. We are working with the University of California, Santa Barbara Social Science Survey Center to ensure confidentiality. Your responses will be viewed by the investigators only.

The investigators plan to publish and/or present the summary of outcomes in a peer-reviewed journal or at conferences. This will help other libraries assess their own existing residency programs for improvements, as well as inform libraries interested in starting up residency programs.

The deadline for responding to the survey is March 31, 2013.

Please feel free to forward this email to any current or former fellows you may know.

If you have any questions, please contact the Primary Investigator Suzanne Im ([log in to unmask]) or simply reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Im

Library Fellow

University of California, Santa Barbara