Dear Undergraduate and Graduate students,

As you are probably growing aware we are teaching Geography 413: Remote Sensing: Types & Applications now and in the Fall. Please refer to the attached Course Flyer:

The course will be Tuesday and Thursday from 11: 10 am to 12:25 pm in the Burchfiel Geography Building

We will have lab on Wednesdays from 2:30 - 4:25 p.m. with a second section of lab possible with demand. Lectures will cover theory and applications and labs will focus on image processing with applications.

We will cover processing of optical data such as Landsat and LIDAR as well as RADAR data such as NEXTMap USA 5-m IFSAR. This section of the course aims at developing your technical skills in remote sensing and we will discuss such issues as image classification which applies to habitat mapping for flora and fauna, urban, geology, and geomorphology, particularly geomorphometrics (a mouthful). Image texture analysis for delineating insect mounds and Kangaroo rat burrows…etc, and analysis of lidar & radar data for calculating height, biomass, and carbon density of deserts, grasslands, shrublands, savannas, woodlands, and forests.

I hope to see you there.

Kindest regards,

Robert A. Washington-Allen
1. Assistant Professor of Geography
2. Environmental Tomography Laboratory
3. Applied Biodiversity Science-IGERT Affiliated Professor:http://biodiversity.tamu.edu/
4. NSF-Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU): Ecohydrology of Tropical Cloud Forests Faculty Mentor
Department of Geography
University of Tennessee
304 Burchfiel Geography Building
1000 Phillip Fulmer Way
Knoxville, TN 37996-0925
Cell: 979-571-4330

"God has chosen the world that is the most perfect,
that is to say, the one that is at the same time the
simplest in hypotheses and the richest in phenomena."
                     ---Leibniz

"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people."
--- Isaac Newton