Mary Axford and Crystal Renfro, two of the three authors of the Academic PKM

blog (http://academicpkm.org), are pleased to announce a new, FREE online

course called "A Year to Improved Productivity for Librarians and Academic

Researchers".  The course will consist of 26 lessons; one lesson will be posted

every two weeks on our blog.  Inspired by Helene Blowers' 23 Things and created

from an idea by Crystal Renfro, each lesson will consist of background on the

topic, suggested readings, and exercises.  Each lesson should not take more

than an hour or two to complete.

What will be covered?

The lessons fall into one of three sections:  (1) How to Improve Productivity,

with lessons including What is PKM, Attention and Focus, Calendars,

Productivity Apps, and Notebook software;  (2)  How to Create an Efficient

Academic Workflow, with lessons including the Concept of Academic Workflow,

Citation Software, Alerting Services, and Mindmaps; and (3)  How to Develop a

Learning Network, which includes lessons What is a Learning Network, Which

Social Network Tool is for You, Effective Online Professional Image; and Tools

Facilitating Further Training to name only a few of the topics planned.

What do I have to do?

The exercises will vary with the topic of the post.  For posts that emphasize

definitions of a topic, exercises might include writing a journal explaining

your own ideas or current productivity regime.  We find that the process of

writing something down has a great effect in clarifying one's thoughts.  Mind

maps have a similar ability to clarify and will be another option for

exercises.  Some exercises will encourage the reader to explore a particular

productivity tool, or to write a list of goals.

While we will not collect and grade the exercises, we do want the experience to

be an interactive one, and we encourage all participants to share your

thoughts/exercises as comments on the blog posts.  We expect to learn as much

as you do.

Where do I sign up?

Interested individuals may sign up to get our blog by email or RSS feed at any

time. As a bonus, there will be other posts on personal knowledge management

topics (as well as the lessons) throughout the year which we hope will

enlighten and/or entertain.

The first lesson will be up on the blog Monday, January 7th, 2013, and new

lessons will be posted biweekly thereafter.  We hope the experience will be

challenging, engaging, useful, interactive, and fun.  All participation is

welcome. This program announcement may be forwarded to others not on this list.

Crystal Renfro

Mathematics & ISyE Librarian

Georgia Tech Library

Website: www.academicpkm.org<http://www.academicpkm.org>  Personal knowledge management tools for academia

& librarians

ACRL Science & Technology Section Discussion List

Join, change your subscription, or unsubscribe:

http://lists.ala.org/wws/info/sts-l

Archives:

http://lists.ala.org/wws/arc/sts-l